Sail – IF

I started this piece on August 1st and I just completed it today. Bear with me, I’m coming to the part where the IF prompt, “Sail” fits in.

August is always a month of reflection for me. It’s probably because one of the biggest losses of my life happened in this month many years ago. I start off the month trying not be to sad, grasping at every happy moment and holding on to it for dear life!

August for me is the beginning and ending of many things. It is the beginning of the end of summer. It is the beginning of some of the hottest, humid days in Pennsylvania. It is the ending of a precious life and memory of a sad time. It is the beginning of constant healing and the joyous memories that will never leave me. Sharon, my dearest sister, there isn’t a day that I don’t remember how your bubbly life “sailed” out of mine and I hold on to the joyous sweet time that was ours.

Life is and always will be a magical endeavor, we are created briefly like an effervescent bubble. With many stops and starts we blow into a wonderful beautiful bubble that floats in the air and flits into the distant. Sometimes we see it pop immediately and other times it is carried on the wind, much like a “Sail“.

So this is my image for this week. A sage creating bubbles of life that “Sail” on their own journey becoming the various aspects of life, people, places, things. It is a beginning and an ending.

Continue to “Sail” because all endings mark the beginning of some infinite state of being.

Peace,
Indigene

1. That made me tear up. Very sorry you lost your sister. Great illustration by the way. Love the colors.

Comment by Katie — August 11, 2008 @ 6:37 am

2. Dear Indigene,I was awaiting your "SAIL" piece, it is wonderful and the message also.Your sister is sailing joyously and she is sharing her journey at this moment by connecting to you through this painting! This painting is your ticket through this happy cosmos…I'm so glad you are showing it to all of us :) now I can sail also :)

Comment by Flying Colors — August 11, 2008 @ 6:39 am

3. lovely image and very poignant story. Peace indeed.

Comment by Di — August 11, 2008 @ 7:00 am

4. That's beautiful Indigene! Enjoy those few warm Summer days in Philly!- John

Comment by Random York — August 11, 2008 @ 9:08 am

5. Perfectly lovely illustration and tender thoughts.

Comment by Ginger*:)* — August 11, 2008 @ 9:12 am

6. wonderful piece and glorious, heartfelt tribute to your sister….

Comment by NANCY LEFKO — August 11, 2008 @ 9:23 am

7. what a great piece and neat take on the theme….lovely work!!!wonderful read too!

Comment by Diana Evans — August 11, 2008 @ 9:42 am

8. Truly beautiful. I'm glad you are finding strength through art. Best wishes.

Comment by Shano — August 11, 2008 @ 9:45 am

9. love the idea

Comment by theartofpuro — August 11, 2008 @ 9:49 am

10. Indegine, this is an amazing, beautiful tribute to your sister and to all of us who have lost a loved one. Thank you for the reminder that we’re only here for a short time, and that we need to embrace every moment. This is a lovely painting.
    ~Blessings~
    Laurel

Comment by studio lolo — August 11, 2008 @ 11:13 am

11. Very imaginative and meaningful.

Comment by kim — August 11, 2008 @ 11:15 am

12. Indigene, this is so full of feeling. I never thought of life that way before, but it’s a beautiful way to see it. Some are big, some are small, and some travel in little groups. You are poetic. Beautiful, beautiful.

Speaking of beautiful, glad we could make a teenager blush. You know that means she LOVED it. :)

Comment by Bella Sinclair — August 11, 2008 @ 11:18 am

13. this fits properly.. i see myself soul sailing with this mystic being..

your artwork is very trippy too.. cant wait to see the series..

and btw thanks for your comment on my first atc. 8)

Comment by atomicvelvetsigh — August 11, 2008 @ 11:21 am

14. Beautiful painting, beautiful writing… lovely artist. :)

Comment by nancy — August 11, 2008 @ 11:31 am

15. What a beautiful illustration that has so much depth and meaning within it. I see in your picture the bubbles containing beautiful memories of your sister Sharon.

Comment by Gai — August 11, 2008 @ 11:42 am

16. Beautiful memorial. This has a very spiritual feel to it and emits feelings of joy.

Comment by Heather — August 11, 2008 @ 12:25 pm

17. An inspiring piece and beautiful tribute. thanks for your comment- I'll be adding you to my links so I can check back more often. :)

Comment by Monica J — August 11, 2008 @ 12:48 pm

18. my dear indigene,you touch my heart…sail= love= life= cosmos….you are, as your works, beautiful!hugs!:*sandra

Comment by sandra.d. — August 11, 2008 @ 1:07 pm

19. Indigene, You have a beautiful gift for words as well as pictures. I always come away from your blog with a deeper understanding, and this is no exception. Peace to you.

Comment by Lynette — August 11, 2008 @ 4:31 pm

20. poignant and beautiful!

Comment by johanna — August 11, 2008 @ 4:58 pm

21. So lovely…hugs from TX

Comment by Roberta — August 11, 2008 @ 7:37 pm

22. wonderful post! beautiful illustration. it bring me back to my own memories. best regards

Comment by isay — August 11, 2008 @ 10:00 pm

23. Beautiful image and narrative Indigene.

Comment by Lisa Evans — August 12, 2008 @ 1:06 am

24. what a moving inspiration to go along with your art. both are beautiful!

Comment by laura dodson — August 12, 2008 @ 2:15 am

25. It is a meaningful piece that like a philosophy. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Comment by timafli — August 12, 2008 @ 5:54 am

26. This made me cry and it means a lot to me all the things you said and the way you expressed it in your painting, Thank You!

Comment by ValGalArt — August 12, 2008 @ 7:47 am

27. Hi, Indigene!Your post is interesting in that August is a month I also remember the loss of someone Dear, my brother.Great meaningful illustration!Thanks for your visit.

Comment by Fannie — August 12, 2008 @ 12:26 pm

28. another thought provoking post

Comment by AscenderRisesAbove — August 12, 2008 @ 2:23 pm

29. I love the imagery of the bubbles in space. It reminds us of the way people make the universe a warm place to live. My heart goes out to you during this month. I lost my mother one March many years ago and I think it takes great strength to express your feelings to the world. Peace to you…

Comment by jcdillustration — August 12, 2008 @ 4:40 pm

30. Art made with heart. Very colorful drawing, despite it’s made with a sad and painful feeling. Im impressed by that! Lovely, Indígena! Thanks so much for your visit+comments. I’ll be around..

Comment by Sara Morante — August 13, 2008 @ 3:34 am

31. This has such lovely sentiment. I love it. xo

Comment by sm — August 13, 2008 @ 3:38 am

32. A beautiful tribute Indigene…

Comment by kathy hare — August 13, 2008 @ 5:50 am

33. What lovely and meaningful piece. Like everyone else has said, a beautiful tribute to your sister.

Comment by Jennnifer H — August 13, 2008 @ 6:22 am

34. This has a majic feeling to it! Wonderful!

Comment by Anna Nadler — August 13, 2008 @ 2:38 pm

35. Beautiful. The accompanying text is moving–as the others have said, a beautiful tribute to your sister.

Comment by Tony Sarrecchia... — August 13, 2008 @ 7:19 pm

36. Lovely. Each bubble a unique soul with a colorful aura. I love the colors and the concept, and the tribute.

Comment by margothere — August 13, 2008 @ 7:46 pm

37. This is indeed a beautiful way to remember and honor your sister, and to reflect on all the beginnings and endings in our lives. Lovely image to go along such a moving post…

Comment by Mônica — August 13, 2008 @ 8:03 pm

38. Aaaahhh Indigene, so poignant!

I too lost a loved one in the dog days of August…every time I check in on you I find another thing in common…

Like poof! I too have poofy hair–but this week on my return from vacation I cut it all off! Why after 40 years of long curly locks would I do such a crazy thing — why to commemorate the loved one I lost to cancer two years ago in August.

Salude my new cyber friend, you’ve quite the knack for touching the heart.

Patti P-C

Comment by Phare-Camp — August 14, 2008 @ 1:01 am

39. Bravo! A job well done. I absolutely, positively love this piece. I love what you had to say about it too.

Comment by Loni Edwards — August 14, 2008 @ 4:04 am

40. Thanks for stopping by the blog! It’s great to meet you :-)

Comment by shadrieka — August 15, 2008 @ 10:47 am

41. This is a lovely work and incredibly sensitive. Thank you for the background explanation, it enable us to see it from an elated perspective.

*Indegine, I hope you will be able to sail through this month.

Comment by platitudinal — August 16, 2008 @ 11:21 pm

42. loved reading your wonderful litle piece on life… true, all of us are indeed evanescent bubbles on the great ocean of life…
    and yet when one knows, intuitively, that one is part of the ocean, the child of the ocean, filled with the very essence and spirit of the boundless bountiful eternal ocean of LIFE, then one feels the bliss of eternity gushing forth in waves of love and joy within the heart…

beautiful illo of the sage and his magical dream-like creation of bubbles… truly each one of us IS that sage, in essence…
    indigene, thanx for sharing your wisdom and beautiful creativity…

Comment by dintoons — August 18, 2008 @ 8:57 am

43. what a touching post this is, feel for you…

Comment by soulbrush — August 25, 2008 @ 4:20 am

44. Lovely image and prose. I like the image of a bubble representing our brief lives. So perfect while it’s here and a sweet memory when it is gone.

I go through those same feelings in the spring–a time of upheaval for me, too. Funny how the environmental changes stir up memories.

Comment by wholeclothdesigns — August 31, 2008 @ 12:46 pm

45. Wow, very beautiful! The story behind your wonderful painting touched me ’cause I can relate.

Also, I’d like to thank you for your kind comments on my art. It is very much appreciated. [^-^]

What mediums do you use for painting? Eventually, I’d like to learn to paint but I don’t know where to begin.

Comment by Berni — November 30, 2008 @ 11:49 pm