Clutter – IF

I’m not sure with moving, what I dislike more, the packing or the unpacking! Ugh!

I’m using a page out of my sketchbook for this week’s prompt. We moved several years ago and I was surrounded by boxes, bags and furniture awaiting the moving truck and I remembered I sketched the scene to alleviate the stress!

We won’t be moving for nine months, but I’ve been packing a few boxes at a time of books (I have over 1,000) to take to our storage unit, so that when the time comes to move, some of my stress can be warded off.

All that to say, that moving represents clutter to me, no matter how organized it is, it’s still clutter! Moving clutters the mind with too many details and your own personal space with physical clutter. It’s just clutter!

Breathe in, slowly breathe out and let that clutter go. Peace to all.

1. I'm with you….the packing/unpacking/moving clutter is the worst….great illustration to capture that all :)

Comment by NANCY LEFKO — September 8, 2008 @ 7:56 am

2. Your whole post about clutter is magnificent. I love this color choice, it helps organize this situation!
    Look at “moving” as a way to sort out and remove unwanted clutter.
    Change is good for growth :)

Comment by Flying Colors — September 8, 2008 @ 12:07 pm

3. Hey Indigene! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I know the whole stress of moving out – boxes – feels so unfinished…I wish i’d thought fo drawing my boxes too. :)

Comment by Tarsila Kruse — September 8, 2008 @ 12:26 pm

4. yeah moving does create a lot of clutter. lovely illustration!

Comment by johanna — September 8, 2008 @ 12:28 pm

5. moving is one of the most stressful things in ones life!! good one!

Comment by soulbrush — September 8, 2008 @ 1:11 pm

6. oh perfect work! I hat packing and un-packing….heheheh

Comment by Diana Evans — September 8, 2008 @ 1:13 pm

7. True, true! I love the colors in your drawing. I think unpacking is way more fun for sure! Old clutter becomes new clutter somehow!

Comment by Reneighborhood — September 8, 2008 @ 1:54 pm

8. I agree. Packing up all the belongings that represent your life is stressful indeed!

Comment by Vicki Smith — September 8, 2008 @ 2:19 pm

9. Great idea for clutter!
    Seven years ago I moved next door. You wouldn’t think it would be as big a deal, but it was!!
    Good luck on the move!
    Nice color scheme!!

Comment by Susan — September 8, 2008 @ 2:39 pm

10. yes and i still have two boxes unpacked since i moved three years ago…..so cool illustration and how it has helped you….

Comment by isay — September 8, 2008 @ 3:25 pm

11. Oh I know how you feel. I’m feeling this sketch too. I totally agree with you on this. I have an art studio that I have cleaned and out only to have my brother-in-law come in an reck it!!! By the third time I was just done. He and my sister have since purchased a home and I am happy for them only thing is I have no strength to get up and do this all again. Your picture is my testimony! Great work and play on the word Clutter.

Comment by Vanessa Brantley Newton — September 8, 2008 @ 4:23 pm

12. love your last statement. :)
    and i think moving is one of the best ways to ELIMINATE clutter!! no matter how you slice it, it’s still a lot of work!

teri

Comment by princesstomato — September 8, 2008 @ 4:49 pm

13. Great illustration. Makes me want to come over and help you unpack. Very effective use of the word clutter.

Comment by Katie — September 8, 2008 @ 5:59 pm

14. very nice page from the sketchbook and wonderful story. We are helping our daughter move out to college, on the other side of the state…stress

Comment by joseph's art and stuff — September 8, 2008 @ 7:01 pm

15. Beautiful piece from your sketchbook! Re your sketching moment during the move, wonderful you turned to the healing process of colors and art.

Comment by Nicola — September 8, 2008 @ 8:13 pm

16. love the imagery!… totally captures the chaos of moving.. one of the least favorite task of almost anybody i think!

Comment by patthebuny — September 8, 2008 @ 8:52 pm

17. Perfect piece for this week! and Ditto. Packing and unpacking is so unpleasant. However, I do enjoy cleaning things out as a mental exercise. If my house is de-cluttered , then it feels as if mind is de-cluttered also.

Comment by Edrian Thomidis — September 8, 2008 @ 8:58 pm

18. nice take on the topic :D i cant make up my mind either about which i hate more – packing or unpacking!

Comment by ujwala — September 9, 2008 @ 6:08 am

19. ohhhh the packing is so much worse.
    the unpacking is like christmas. unless you lose a box.
    then it is like the worst week of your year.

Comment by AscenderRisesAbove — September 9, 2008 @ 9:17 am

20. yikes! clutter do really leave us irritated at times (well most of the time for others too) like however you pack them its not gonna shrink. lol 8) but dont worry you have lots of time to get things done.

Comment by atomicvelvetsigh — September 9, 2008 @ 9:53 am

21. I know what you mean. Very smart, to keep your inner peace while sorting through all that stuff.
    I like the way you captured packing, the labeling, the packed boxes, a part of a sofa?, the lamp… Nice work!

Comment by Suana — September 9, 2008 @ 10:47 am

22. I hear you – moving is CLUTTER! But it is also a time to ‘purge’ the clutter if you look at it that way! Very nice painting…good color scheme. I also really enjoyed a visit to your website gallery today.

Comment by Kate — September 9, 2008 @ 11:38 am

23. You sure captured clutter well with this one. I like that you sketched the scene to alleviate the stress. We should all do that more often.

Comment by Azulita — September 9, 2008 @ 11:49 am

24. very nice illo,and we agree with you,when you move is clutter all the times

Comment by theartofpuro — September 9, 2008 @ 1:10 pm

25. love the colours used in your image of clutter. good thoughts on clutter, your right we gather so much don’t we. thanks for your comments too.

Comment by Gai — September 9, 2008 @ 4:15 pm

26. hihi… I love the unpacking… best time to sort out the clutter! like your lines!

Comment by Emily — September 9, 2008 @ 4:49 pm

27. nice concept, moving is a total clutter.

Comment by enigma — September 9, 2008 @ 5:01 pm

28. Great illustration! I can relate to the packing/unpacking clutter! I once got a quote to move states and miscounted the boxes so the removalist left half my stuff behind so my ex-husband sold it all! Thats a whole nother de-cluttering story! Thanks for the comment on my blog. Cheers from Brisbane! Angela

Comment by Ange B — September 10, 2008 @ 3:44 am

29. lovely illustration and perfect for the topic, we moved just over a year ago to a smaller house – I have photos of the clutter, some of the boxes are still unpacked, this is what happens when you can’t get yourself to throw anything away

Comment by COBOL — September 10, 2008 @ 2:38 pm

30. I like your sketch. And I needed your words about moving. I’m currently trying (hopelessly it seems) to de-clutter the house to get it ready to sell.

Comment by Heather — September 10, 2008 @ 2:38 pm

31. I certainly feel your pain! I hate moving so much. I told my husband the next house we buy will be the last. Last year, we moved from a big house to a small apartment, and I learned that I really don’t need all the material stuff I had. That being said, I’ll still be glad when I can get all my art supplies out of storage. HA! Glad you’re starting 9 months early. Slow and steady….

Comment by Bella Sinclair — September 11, 2008 @ 8:29 am

32. This makes the most wonderful abstract; love your colours.

Comment by Connie — September 11, 2008 @ 11:29 am

33. Hi, Indigene! Are you supposed to unpack the boxes? I always keep one around from 20 years ago (I need help). You convinced me with your illustration, it looks Great!

Comment by Random York — September 11, 2008 @ 10:59 pm

34. Great idea for an entry :)

Comment by Bee — September 12, 2008 @ 6:34 am

35. OOooh, I love this one!!Definitely!
    It’s a great discover to enter in your site:)

Comment by Marina — October 5, 2008 @ 5:25 pm