Island – IF

Forgive me, my schedule is so hectic and off the charts this week so I borrowed an image of mine from my website: http://indigeneart.com. It is the image of a contemplative woman sitting in the waters off an island, the original piece is entitled, “Solitude.”

There is an expression (I can’t remember who said it) that goes something like, “no man is an island.” It is the phrase that comes to mind when I saw the IF prompt for this week.

I differ with that expression because I think that every one exist in and on their own personal island. It is the water (emotions, and or physical plane) surrounding our personal islands that connect us all.

1. Beautiful, evocative work!

Comment by Cathy — September 13, 2008 @ 11:23 am

2. This is so beautiful – and this woman is like a wonderful island herself. Lovely and dreamy illustration:-) And I loved reading your words and thoughts too.

Comment by linda sarah — September 13, 2008 @ 11:24 am

3. Very nice illo and post, and I do agree, every man is an island to a certain extent…but it is nice to have bridges connecting to other islands around us, eh??

Comment by SENTA — September 13, 2008 @ 12:40 pm

4. I like this one a lot.

Comment by joseph's art and stuff — September 13, 2008 @ 3:31 pm

5. I love the way she’s sitting in the water.

Comment by Fourborne — September 13, 2008 @ 5:03 pm

6. wonderful work and great read….
    I try to find my paradise each day…thanks for the reminder…

Comment by Diana Evans — September 13, 2008 @ 9:18 pm

7. How right and in tune you are! I love what you have to say and your painting captures a primitive island flavour :)

Comment by ValGalArt — September 14, 2008 @ 1:40 am

8. Love your work. Great as always :)

Comment by S — September 14, 2008 @ 3:05 am

9. she is just beautiful sitting there in the water. I love it! She is just a wonderful little island there in the water. I love the whole concept here. Great work!!!!

Comment by Vanessa Brantley Newton — September 14, 2008 @ 4:54 am

10. Good take of the topic! Nice ilo

Comment by Neus — September 14, 2008 @ 5:58 am

11. I agree. “No man is an island” sounds a little too collectivist, or something.

Nice colors.

Comment by InkyDisaster — September 14, 2008 @ 6:16 am

12. I love the contemplative nature of your works. Very fitting for this week’s theme as people in the hurricane need to be connected to others and not be islands unto themselves.

Comment by kim — September 14, 2008 @ 10:39 am

13. lovely post and illustration :)

Comment by NANCY LEFKO — September 14, 2008 @ 11:59 am

14. solitude or island, both work for me…good stuff.

Comment by soulbrush — September 14, 2008 @ 1:12 pm

15. Very beautiful. Love the black and white image along with the watercolor scenery.

Comment by Katie — September 14, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

16. Oh yes! I love what you wrote about our personal islands and the way we are connected. It really rang true to me and the image is gorgeous, really powerful and expressive. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Azulita — September 14, 2008 @ 5:36 pm

17. Lovely thoughts… thanks for sharing!

Comment by Honor Bowden — September 14, 2008 @ 6:06 pm

18. I like your illos and the stories behind them, nice works!

Comment by Bobo's Slave — September 14, 2008 @ 7:04 pm

19. i love the expression on her face and the way she’s lightly touching her feet. wonderful work!

Comment by johanna — September 14, 2008 @ 8:05 pm

20. aww what a beautiful painting! this is reminiscent of the times i was in snake island, palawan with my love..

Comment by atomicvelvetsigh — September 14, 2008 @ 9:44 pm

21. a beautiful illustration..

Comment by kathy hare — September 15, 2008 @ 3:08 am

22. when first I opened your page I thought that island was the illu with the great bear on the top of the homepage, and I loved it and the idea. than by scrolling down I have seen the “solitude” illu.
    As well appropriate and beautiful
    Mario

Comment by abajur (serena) — September 15, 2008 @ 5:25 am

23. It works perfectly for the subject Indigene. Very nicely done!

Comment by steve — September 15, 2008 @ 6:51 am

24. Absolutely wonderful piece. One of my favorites, exceptional!
    Also loved what you wrote on this post. Thanks for showing it :)

The saying goes like this:
    “No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent.” John Donne

Best to you :)

Comment by Flying Colors — September 15, 2008 @ 9:50 am

25. i like this very much; like that she is black and white surrounded by color which really makes this entire image work

Comment by AscenderRisesAbove — September 15, 2008 @ 10:50 am

26. This is truly lovely! I think the line you are thinking of comes from this famous poem by John Donne:

MEDITATION XVII
    No man is an island entire of itself; every man
    is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
    if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
    is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
    well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
    own were; any man’s death diminishes me,
    because I am involved in mankind.
    And therefore never send to know for whom
    the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

from Devotions upon Emergent Occasions
    John Donne

Comment by Nancy Bea Miller — September 15, 2008 @ 12:56 pm

27. lovely sentiments… and really nice piece!
    dot

Comment by Dot — September 15, 2008 @ 1:04 pm

28. I like your drawings. The polar bear, though really stuns me! Nice image! I hope we can save polar bear habitat. It will take a huge shift in political will.

Comment by eyecontact — September 15, 2008 @ 1:26 pm

29. i love her expression.. she looks like she has found her peacefull “happy place”…

Comment by patthebuny — September 15, 2008 @ 9:42 pm

30. i do that a lot! although, not naked, LOL. i think it’s great! oh and sorry about your ‘willies’ my little rats has caused on you! ^_^

Comment by enigma — September 15, 2008 @ 10:29 pm

31. Lovely illo!

Comment by Alina Chau — September 16, 2008 @ 12:10 am

32. This is such a lovely post! I feel that my picture has a similar meaning to yours too. Thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comment :)

Comment by Jess — September 16, 2008 @ 3:03 am

33. what a beautiful illustration! i like what you said: So today, whether you are your own island, connected to others through play, work, family, or an island within an island, find your paradise this week, either on a physical plane or your personal spiritual journey. Until next week, Peace and Blessings to all the islands in the universe and those whom people them.—-THANKS AND I SAY THE SAME THING TO YOU. HAVE A NICE WEEK.

Comment by isay — September 16, 2008 @ 4:35 am

34. You have a really neat blog. I enjoyed reading and looking at your images. Nice work.

Comment by Forrest Illustrations — September 16, 2008 @ 9:21 am

35. This woman is like an island herself.

I was thinking about that quote this week, then it also brought to mind Nietsche (I can only paraphrase, not quote) – each of us is on our own island – we spend our lives trying to persuade others to join us in our beliefs and thus on our islands.

Comment by Sarah — September 16, 2008 @ 11:41 am

36. What a beautiful illustration and thought — she fits so well with what you said. I love the colors, the peaceful, contemplative expression, her hands on her feet… it is quite lovely!

Comment by Mônica — September 16, 2008 @ 8:03 pm

37. Reading your post reminded me of that Simon and Garfunkle song, …i am a rock, i am an island… Sorry to rehash whate every one else has already said but nice post. Thanks for your comment too.

Comment by Michael — September 16, 2008 @ 10:08 pm

38. the image evokes a very calm and meditative feeling, very nice. And I agree – I’ve never quite understood the No man is an island idea, I think it is vey difficult to make connections and they can easily over time be washed away again if we don’t work to maintain them

Comment by COBOL — September 16, 2008 @ 10:44 pm

39. This piece is wonderful, I like that her feet are in what appears to be cool and calming waters – seems to fit your writing for this post.

Comment by Peter Breese — September 16, 2008 @ 11:09 pm

40. I have a sweet award waiting for you on my blog!

Comment by Diana Evans — September 17, 2008 @ 10:20 am

41. hehe! you are right! great minds think alike :)
    I do love your illustration and your thoughts as well. Blessings to you.

Comment by Paola — September 17, 2008 @ 3:37 pm

42. So this is a one-woman island!!! :D
    She does indeed seem to be enjoying the solitude.

Comment by Tiddly Inks — September 17, 2008 @ 8:46 pm

43. Perfect for topic and beautiful!!

Comment by AndyDoodler — September 18, 2008 @ 1:11 pm

44. Lovely, lovely. And it does exude this sense of tranquility. I like how her toes peek up from the water, and the beautiful reflection under them. Thank you for your thought-provoking words.

Comment by Bella Sinclair — September 18, 2008 @ 11:02 pm

45. You’ve created a lovely, introspective work.

Keep up the good work!

Comment by Andrew Thornton — September 19, 2008 @ 2:37 am

46. Thoughtful take on the theme :)

Comment by Bee — September 19, 2008 @ 10:09 am

47. I LOVE your art work and explanations. It’s almost like experiencing your paintings from the inside out. When I saw this piece by you, it reminded me of another blog post I had seen. Check out: http://gaiantarot.typepad.com/artists_journal/2008/09/embodying-the-ace-of-cups.html
    I looked up the Ace of Cups and it talks about blessings, abundance, and creative inspirations. I think your work embodies all of these. Thanks for sharing your pieces weekly.

Comment by Karen — September 19, 2008 @ 11:00 am

48. ohh hi me again.. hehe.. can’t wait for your next illo..

but i have to say that your artworks have truly won my heart.. and for that an award is waiting for you at my blog..

i love your art blog award

*hugs*