Packed – IF

Bear with me…this is a long one…

After arguing with my daughter this morning about the benefits of cleaning her room (i.e., “you can stop asking me where everything is”); she stomped to her room!

Later, I looked in her room and became misty-eyed.

Lo and behold, she cleaned her room…but inside of boxes and on the outside of boxes were all the things I love! Her “bear-bear”, her dolls and numerous other toy treasures!
Packed up memories…

For any parent, well some of us at least, seeing your little one grow up and storm into adolescence is challenging at best! I captured this moment in my journal along with this sketch; (I don’t generally go into her messy room, because I have fit every time I do)…sketching always calms me down!

So, long story, short…here is my rendition of “packed“. Packed memories, packed feelings, packed toys, packed childhood, packed teenager, and packed Mom!

I’m sitting in my bedroom, on my bed, now “un-packing” the memories of her babyhood…smiling with some tears…

Today, love all the little ones in your life and pack every moment full of memories…Peace.

1. Aw, so cute. I'm a real sucker for bears! What a touching story to accompany it too.:)

Comment by in with the misfits — September 27, 2008 @ 10:13 am

2. How touching! I can relate even though my children are now having children of their own. How nicely you created this illustration with such a loving memory.

Comment by Ginger*:)* — September 27, 2008 @ 10:58 am

3. Very good……

Comment by goooooood girl — September 27, 2008 @ 11:21 am

4. It is always sad to see the little ones grow up and then they let go of their toys. I salvaged my children’s toys. They are in my office. The dollhouse is in the living room. Keep some of her toys Indegene.

Comment by Ces — September 27, 2008 @ 11:40 am

5. That’s actually really moving, as well as fun!

Comment by Cathy — September 27, 2008 @ 12:12 pm

6. Nice story :) The little bear’s adorable

Comment by Kris-Tea — September 27, 2008 @ 12:20 pm

7. So you made me misty eyed reading this article. My, but they do grow up so fast and I think you’re illustration will touch even more people. This is so sweet and very well thought out. I really love when a piece moves me. This does. This is so sweet!

Comment by Vanessa Brantley Newton — September 27, 2008 @ 12:22 pm

8. Oh gosh, I know exactly what you mean including the tears. Such sweet memories.

Perfect for IF this week.

Comment by Teri C — September 27, 2008 @ 12:32 pm

9. I think this one was just wonderful. It’s so personal. I love it.

Comment by Cookie Sunshine — September 27, 2008 @ 12:59 pm

10. Hey Indigene, sweet story! My mum kept all our kid toys, she still clings to them – they’re in our attic. Before you’re sure about really not needing them, I’d keep them.

Cute illustration!

PS don’t be too worried if she protests cleaning – teenagers do change into adults, haha

Comment by PotatoMamma — September 27, 2008 @ 3:48 pm

11. very nice, tender story and illo.

Comment by carga — September 27, 2008 @ 3:55 pm

12. transitions can be hard on the heart…wonderful sentiment and sweet illustration

Comment by Kat Hannah — September 27, 2008 @ 6:15 pm

13. Wow, that’s so amazing. I’m still in the place of potty training. I can hardly imagine being in your place, but I know it will come.

And thanks for stopping by my blog. You know I used to blame this paternalistic society for why there were not more women artists, and I think that’s historically part of it, but I never factored in this bump motherhood puts into our creativity.

I guess life is not simple.

Comment by Rowena — September 27, 2008 @ 10:23 pm

14. I love art that is personal. Great job.

Comment by Eric Wieringa — September 27, 2008 @ 10:34 pm

15. It touches my heart ….so sweet..so nice :)

Comment by Shiva — September 28, 2008 @ 2:59 am

16. Very cute and the bear…and your story… what more can I say…

Comment by Sylvia Jenstad — September 28, 2008 @ 8:34 am

17. Great story and what an emotional day!

Love the little face poking out of the box. My little one is only 5 weeks but I can’t already feel the tears welling up inside me about having to let go…Still I think I have a good way to go yet!

Comment by Parrman — September 28, 2008 @ 9:12 am

18. Lovely thoughts! I remember rocking my second son one morning when he was a wee baby, and a thought coming to me as I held him there, that one day I would wish I could have this time again…….and for the rest of the day I treasured all the little things. Of course it wasn’t long before I was caught up in the world and life…but for that short time I was able to appreciate what was mine right then! I love that you “illustrated” that memory.

Comment by Elise's Art Garden — September 28, 2008 @ 9:17 am

19. I can’t bear to see discarded toys by the side of the road, or at yard sales and thrift stores. It’s like giving your children away. I know it’s a right of passage for some people though. Save the bear!
    beautiful post Indigene :)

Comment by studio lolo — September 28, 2008 @ 10:21 am

20. awwwww not packed Mom! I know it feels like it right now but it’s not!

Great drawing!

Thanks for the comment on mine too!

Comment by artsymommachic — September 28, 2008 @ 10:33 am

21. A touching post (and cute bear!)

Comment by Bee — September 28, 2008 @ 11:12 am

22. Hey, thanks for all the encouragement on my blog! That made my day :) I’m glad you like my work.

This is a cute one. I like how you pair colors and greyscale in your work. Cool style!

Comment by Sarah Ackerley — September 28, 2008 @ 11:35 am

23. this wrenched at my heart strings….what it is to be a mother?

Comment by soulbrush — September 28, 2008 @ 12:12 pm

24. oh, this is such an endearing and moving post and illustration. I got a little tear :( Sweet and gentle my friend :)

Comment by ValGalArt — September 28, 2008 @ 2:27 pm

25. what a lovely story…thanks for sharing it …being a Mom is the greatest gift in the world!!!

Memories to last a lifetime…

Hugs
    Diana

Comment by Diana Evans — September 28, 2008 @ 4:31 pm

26. amazing what comes up with a word isn’t it? I love this illo, very poignant to our memories. I am thinking now about the boxes of packed with drawings from my children’s early years. mmmm

Comment by Gai — September 28, 2008 @ 4:55 pm

27. I am there with you (4 daughters). Nice thought.

Comment by Fourborne — September 28, 2008 @ 4:55 pm

28. Wonderful post once again.

Comment by Honor Bowden — September 28, 2008 @ 6:09 pm

29. Beautiful illo and deeply touching story!

Comment by Nicola — September 28, 2008 @ 9:01 pm

30. Nice drawing!

Comment by Alina Chau — September 28, 2008 @ 9:10 pm

31. what a beautiful post.

Comment by isay — September 29, 2008 @ 1:00 am

32. beautiful Indigene, as always..

Comment by kathy hare — September 29, 2008 @ 3:51 am

33. Thanks for looking at my picture. You have a really interesting blog here!

Comment by Toby Dixon — September 29, 2008 @ 4:45 am

34. lovely memories and illustration !!! sometimes I want to squeeze my youngest and keep him from growing up :)

Comment by NANCY LEFKO — September 29, 2008 @ 8:48 am

35. so sweet and such a touching story.
    Thanks for visiting me!

Comment by Amy C — September 29, 2008 @ 11:51 am

36. A lovely sentiment! :-)

Made me think of my mum holding on to all of my old drawings.

Comment by Ian Caulkett — September 30, 2008 @ 3:39 am

37. aww.. this is a lovely post and illo for your daughter! time flies indeed and how kids grow up so fast.. my baby is also turning 7 next month and gee it was just like yesterday when i held him in my arms so fragile and so small.. now naughtiness aside, i still grab each chance i get to hug him and smother him with kisses.. coz only time can tell when he will start to “not like” that anymore. 8) thanks for sharing this lovely memory which made us also remember our “packed past”..

Comment by atomicvelvetsigh — September 30, 2008 @ 5:25 am

38. Awww, that’s a truly tender drawing. How sad. My oldest is still a tween, but I can smell teenage angst right around the corner.

I hope your daughter only packed her treasured childhood belongings to spite you (wait, that didn’t come out right). I remember that I still hung onto a few childhood favorites until I graduated college.

Comment by Bella Sinclair — September 30, 2008 @ 6:32 am

39. Hi Indigene! That is a sweet message and illustration. My daughter just started college and I miss her- even more when I see all of those stuffed animals and little childhood toys that are still hanging around. Thank you for the birthday wishes- it’s tomorrow and I have planned out a day of chocolate cupcakes, coffee, and barbeque! I’ll feel like Bella Sinclair’s illustration by nighttime!- John

Comment by Random York — September 30, 2008 @ 7:20 am

40. That is a cute picture, it is a shame people pack up their toys! maybe i am just unsual but I am 29 and still have some teddy bears in my room! i don’t think i ever wanted to grow up!

Comment by Shannon Melville — September 30, 2008 @ 10:15 am

41. This is one of the more beautiful packed illos out there, both in content and execution…

The drawing, sketch, painting is fabulous, just love the feelings here.

Thanks Indigene :)

Comment by Flying Colors — September 30, 2008 @ 10:57 am

42. this drawing touched me so much. my oldest daughter is six and my youngest is two. some days i so desperately want them to grow up, such as this very moment when i have just finished cleaning a tube of diaper rash cream off the sofa. but when i start packing up their old things to give away, it hits me like a rock: they’re growing up, and before i know it their childhoods will be gone. what a beautiful, emotional piece :)

Comment by aimee — September 30, 2008 @ 2:19 pm

43. my goodness… how touching… and how it hits home… my daughter is almost 12… she has been hyper-organized all her life… until now… she is still way more tidy than most adults I know… myself included… i have a box of things that she has put in the donate pile since the age of 4… i just couldn’t part with them…

thanks for the visit… and the kind words… and for making me think…

Comment by Michael O'Connell — October 1, 2008 @ 8:29 am

44. thanks for the comment!:)
    saw your “packed” entry, i can also relate to your illo. i love toys myself. i weeped when i lost most of my toys in a grage sale my parents put up when we moved to another country…i long to find those lost toys again..luckily, i saved some of my favorite toys. the little ones that i really loved playing with! i gave some of it to my 3 yr old daughter n she loves them just the same! i love buying toys up to now. i believe they’re a big part of a person’s happy childhood. :)

Comment by Jampickles — October 1, 2008 @ 10:52 pm

45. Good advice. :-)

Comment by Rrramone — October 2, 2008 @ 9:24 am

46. Ohhh! I understand you very well. Watching them grow is a blessing but sometimes it would be nice to to stop time, rewind and be able to live memories again.
    When my elder son was beginning to say good bye to his toys the younger begun playing with them, so it was easy…
    Now I have to recognize that his new stuff is asking for more room, but neither him, nor I have the heart to pack old toys still, we are procrastinating the moment.
    Nevertheless I think I will try to rescue as much as I can. May be one day I will be a granny and new tiny hands will find joy with these old toys.
    I hope there are lots of wonderful memories in the future ready for us to unpack them :)

Comment by Paola — October 6, 2008 @ 9:24 am

47. It’s weird reading this blog. Like it’s written by someone I don’t actually know – a second story.

Comment by Godheval — October 6, 2008 @ 9:45 am

48. Thanks for your lovely comment Indigene. Your fruit looks delicious!

Comment by Sarah — October 8, 2008 @ 2:41 pm