Vacant – IF

When my family and I visited Albuquerque, Sante Fe & Taos, it was an incredible trip!

Out of all the beautiful people, places and things I saw, painted, sketched, and photographed, it was the vacant or abandoned things that stand out in my mind.

During our various outings on the road during this trip, I saw this vacant log cabin in the middle of the desert. My family was appalled that I wanted to stop, get out of the car and go inside of it!

After reassuring them “that crazy Mommy” would be very careful and only wanted to see the outside up close and take a few photos. My “craziness”….uh…curiosity got the best of me and I had to go inside.

It was a beautiful vacant room. Beautiful, intricate patterns and textures, the house itself was a one room house with windows and no door, as if beckoning all on that road to stop by, come in and “look” at the stillness and vacancy.

That place, that cabin, that vacant room stays in my mind inventing its own stories of why, how and who as with all vacant places, people and things.

Vacancy has business in humanity…fill the space…the thing and the people…Peace to you all.

1. Those are wonderful places. Nice image. :-)

Comment by Rrramone — November 1, 2008 @ 4:00 pm

2. Simple, peaceful work!

Old abandoned houses are scary but intriguing. Especially if people have left their belongings there, you start wondering who lived there and why they left.

Comment by Jutta — November 1, 2008 @ 4:51 pm

3. Hey Sweetie, how cool is this log cabin. I can almost feel the winter cold coming through the spaces in between the logs. It’s very peaceful as well. It has memories in the walls of it. Very beautiful and moving at the same time. Great feeling went into this. Great work my friend.

Comment by Vanessa Brantley Newton — November 1, 2008 @ 5:04 pm

4. If I had been there, I would have gone in with you. : ) Nice one.

Comment by Kate — November 1, 2008 @ 5:34 pm

5. Fill the vacant space with delightful earthy colours & textures.
    Very humble 7 brilliant piece:)
    i love your minimal style here…
    Merry weekend…count down to Christmas!!!!!!

Comment by yoon see — November 1, 2008 @ 7:00 pm

6. thanks for being amused by my drawing of a toilet incident!

Your piece is very unusual, a really interesting take on vacant. What i really like is that you have written your account of the place to accompany. It sounds like a kind of eerie and strange but very curious vacant cabin. I really like the texture of the walls, too.

Comment by loubylou — November 1, 2008 @ 7:32 pm

7. Great story! I was the same with my “vacant trees” on our road trip this summer. Love your images.

Comment by andrea — November 1, 2008 @ 8:13 pm

8. You nailed it Indigene! Happy (late) Halloween!- John

Comment by Random York — November 1, 2008 @ 10:20 pm

9. very interesting, nice illo, and thanks for your words.

Comment by Michael — November 1, 2008 @ 10:58 pm

10. this is exactly what I want to do everytime I see a building in ruin. My girls react the same way. Though when they were tearing down their high school we went in and took photos. it was a blast.

Comment by AscenderRisesAbove — November 2, 2008 @ 12:25 am

11. this is a very poignant post. wow.

Comment by soulbrush — November 2, 2008 @ 10:46 am

12. This is so beautiful and inspiring – and I loved reading the story behind it – wonderful!

Comment by linda sarah — November 2, 2008 @ 12:57 pm

13. Great interpretation of ‘vacant’. Wonderful painting too.

Comment by Teri C — November 2, 2008 @ 1:21 pm

14. Great text and idea of vacancy ,I see
    that you are so senstive!!
    Thanks for your comment ,very kind.
    Rosália

Comment by ROSÁLIA LERNER — November 2, 2008 @ 4:17 pm

15. wonderful message and interpretation of the topic ! Very lively !

Comment by Pea — November 3, 2008 @ 5:11 am

16. great interpretation i like your text!

Comment by sophie philo — November 3, 2008 @ 5:52 am

17. I can feel the cold for sure! Aww I love cabins. Great work :o)

Comment by Alicia Padrón — November 3, 2008 @ 10:38 am

18. I know JUST what you’re talking about, being a New Mexican myself. I have a photog friend who has her camera with her at all times because of these “vacant” places that are really full of spirit and magic. And then there are the old cemeteries…!

Comment by Regina — November 3, 2008 @ 1:03 pm

19. So nice text and image,the textures is great!

Comment by parisa mahmoudi — November 3, 2008 @ 3:43 pm

20. a beautiful image with beautiful sentiment, thank you for sharing.

Comment by Gai — November 3, 2008 @ 7:08 pm

21. wonderful, poignant piece Indigene! You are a great observer of all things that matter :)

Comment by studio lolo — November 3, 2008 @ 10:16 pm

22. Beautiful work. great feelings. I really like the texture of the wall. see your work always having something different and lovely. =)

Comment by flower girl — November 4, 2008 @ 10:26 pm

23. Wow. this is good. Love the texture of your work.

Comment by Ria — November 5, 2008 @ 2:16 am

24. Your description is almost as vivid as your image Indigene. Very nice work, well done.

Comment by neil — November 5, 2008 @ 3:53 am

25. Hi,
    You have been awarded,
    pls. drop by when you are free:)

Comment by yoon see — November 5, 2008 @ 8:08 am

26. I would have stopped too. I like that kind of thing and wonder who lived there and where did they go. I went and visited your website. You have some very beautiful work.

Comment by Forrest Illustrations — November 5, 2008 @ 10:56 pm

27. great texture…has a haunting, vacant feeling

Comment by Cock Yer Doodle — November 6, 2008 @ 4:31 am

28. My father has always painted abandoned buildings (http://www.capehart.org) so since early childhood they’ve drawn my attention as well. Your image really captures the mood you describe. Nice job.

Comment by Azulita — November 6, 2008 @ 6:54 am

29. so true… and another reason i think that they call to us is our need to fill the void…

great story… wonderful illustration… and thank you for the visit…

Comment by Michael O'Connell — November 6, 2008 @ 11:44 am

30. great image and matches your description of the experience perfectly

Comment by COBOL — November 6, 2008 @ 10:17 pm

31. Great post! And isn’t that just such a beautiful part of the country?! I can see why so many artists choose to live in Santa Fe, the light is just awesome.

Comment by Shani — November 7, 2008 @ 2:43 am

32. beautiful drawing – vacant houses really capture my attention, too. i always wonder about the people that lived there, what they did in the house, why they left, and why no one else moved in.

Comment by aimee — November 7, 2008 @ 12:54 pm

33. Thanks for stopping by! I actually feel warmth and shelter inside this vacant cabin. Nice.

Comment by jcdillustration — November 7, 2008 @ 1:54 pm

34. Perfect for the theme! Well done. :-)

Comment by Honor Bowden — November 8, 2008 @ 2:20 am

35. You’ve nailed it again! You inspire me. Keep up the good work.

Comment by The Love Collective — November 8, 2008 @ 9:22 pm