Subtract – IF

Subtraction is an odd word to illustrate, especially while living in a culture where “more” is considered better and I see daily how that’s  taken over the top! Maybe taking away is an answer, not a punishment.

My thoughts on Illustration Friday’s word, “subtract” led me to the image of a Geisha, where I subtracted the background, to make you more conscious of the individual. The simplicity of beauty is evident, but a paradox, in the way I’m using it, since Geishas, wear many  added layers of clothing.

So in this image, you can think about the addition of many garments or the subtraction of environment. There’s a lot to ponder in a paradox…or not!

Whether you subtract from life or add to life, it is the living that must be done.   Happy Week…Peace.

1. Miss Indigene, how did you get to be so wise? Beautiful geisha, and an equally beautiful philosophy.

Comment by Bella Sinclair — March 21, 2009 @ 3:08 am

2. Uh, I´m the first… Tell you I like your drawing and your words.

Comment by Tomas — March 21, 2009 @ 5:50 am

3. Ok, I found the link to your Asia theme painting. This is fabulous! Your writings are also inspirational. You’re right about how “more” is the now the norm in most societies.
    I prefer or try to, at least to be contented with less.

Comment by Madonna Davidoff — March 21, 2009 @ 6:01 am

4. Lovely work, a really nice one! fantastic!
    Congratulations and Regards!

Rui Sousa

Comment by rui — March 21, 2009 @ 8:00 am

5. this is a really beautiful piece, I love Japanese flower arrangement’s too so minimal and so considered.

Comment by Amy C — March 21, 2009 @ 8:15 am

6. Lovely piece…It’s interesting how you chose a similar color for the geisha and background. In blue, she sort of dissolves into the environment, where we are used to thinking of geishas as bright and contrasting. I like her!

Comment by DEB — March 21, 2009 @ 8:28 am

7. what a beautiful post. I like your painting and your words. And to share this with you also—I have a japanese friend and she is beautiful, she is not a geisha but whenever she wears their national costume, it always makes me smile, because the one covered with adornment and layers of clothing is my wonderful friend.

Comment by isay — March 21, 2009 @ 8:49 am

8. lovely painting! i love the soft tones in it!

Comment by Asja — March 21, 2009 @ 9:13 am

9. Very lovely thought and illo.
    Congrats on the show and thanks for sharing the photos. :)

Comment by Christy — March 21, 2009 @ 10:30 am

10. absolutely exquisite indigene. hugs.

Comment by soulbrush — March 21, 2009 @ 11:04 am

11. I am a great fan of geisha. Such an elegance. Yours is so graceful…

Comment by Marie-Hélène — March 21, 2009 @ 11:14 am

12. Serenity is the paramount feeling I have when looking at this beautiful image. It subtracts the mind from any chaos that may be clamouring mentally. Really lovely, Indigene.

Comment by Tessa — March 21, 2009 @ 1:36 pm

13. Really lovely!

Comment by Joanie — March 21, 2009 @ 2:11 pm

14. very,very lovely :)

Comment by valgalart — March 21, 2009 @ 2:14 pm

15. Brilliant post! I totally agree with you such a tricky word to express.
    But this all made sense the way you put it… And the image is one of beauty, simplicity and elegance… but highly sophisticated… less is more :)

Comment by Lisa Rivas — March 21, 2009 @ 9:39 pm

16. Super Indigene! I really enjoy seeing the pics of your art show too! It looks very impressive!- John

Comment by JOhn York — March 21, 2009 @ 10:01 pm

17. Lovely geisha Indigene. I admire the thought process involved.:)

Comment by bjornik — March 21, 2009 @ 10:10 pm

18. a perfect exmple of less being more. Your art holds so much insight and emotion. Lovely Indigene!
    XX

Comment by studio lolo — March 22, 2009 @ 12:33 am

19. I’m so glad you wandered into my site. It caused me to wander back into yours – and what a peaceful, delightful world it is. Beautiful work and an interesting show. Best regards.

Comment by Cheryl — March 22, 2009 @ 7:37 am

20. Yeah, simplicity made this charm Geisha stands out!

Comment by yoon see — March 22, 2009 @ 10:46 am

21. Great narrative on the word subtract. I struggled with this theme as well. Trying not to focus on the obvious definition of the word itself. Anyway, wonderful piece!

Comment by Brandi Powell — March 22, 2009 @ 1:32 pm

22. I like your clean interpretation of the prompt. Eye-catching piece & thought provoking text

Comment by ArtSnark — March 22, 2009 @ 1:47 pm

23. Thanks for the comment, so nice! I really love your work. I just got done reading a book on Geisha’s I like this piece without a plain background, she really does stand out!

Comment by stacy kathryn — March 22, 2009 @ 5:53 pm

24. beautiful. and i love a good paradox.
    happy living!

Comment by Piper — March 22, 2009 @ 6:18 pm

25. Very beautiful ;)

Comment by flower girl — March 22, 2009 @ 9:41 pm

26. Hi–i wanted to say that I thought you commented on every single IF post, because there wasn’t a single one that I looked at that you hadn’t already commented on. But then I realized that you and I seem to have very similar tastes, and we’re just looking at and commenting on the same pictures. I think that’s pretty wild.

This is a beautiful drawing.

Comment by TMartin — March 23, 2009 @ 11:55 am

27. You make a valid point about more….and I truly like your take on this theme. She’s lovely.

Comment by get zapped — March 23, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

28. Hi there. Thank for stopping by my blog, and for leaving such nice comments about my IF piece…it was allot of fun, and this week’s theme was a challenge. I love your geisha piece, and the concept of adding and subtracting as related to the geisha is very thoughtful. Cheers to you!

Comment by Noelle Horsfield — March 24, 2009 @ 11:29 am

29. Nice work ! congrats on your exhibition !

Comment by Pea — March 24, 2009 @ 3:26 pm

30. Very nice painting :)

Comment by Kris-Tea — March 24, 2009 @ 5:18 pm

31. beautiful, very subtle colours. Very well done.

Comment by cobol — March 24, 2009 @ 10:22 pm

32. I’ve been trying to subtract backgrounds more myself these days. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. In your case it does.

Comment by Rob Smith Jr — March 24, 2009 @ 11:07 pm

33. What a lovely post – you have contained so much wisdom in so few words!

Comment by Cathy — March 25, 2009 @ 4:59 am

34. Wonderfully done. I like a nice contrast or simple background in an effort to bring the eyes to the main topic.

Comment by Chameleon — March 25, 2009 @ 7:41 am

35. Beautiful work. I love the soft colors

Comment by Jaimie — March 25, 2009 @ 9:41 am

36. love the dignity of this piece, beautiful.

Comment by janie — March 25, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

37. I love your Japanese theme – and the idea of subtracting the background! This is a lovely subtle image portraying the gentleness of the Geisha.

Comment by Caroline Soer — March 26, 2009 @ 7:03 am

38. Wonderful and very clever

Comment by theartofpuro — March 26, 2009 @ 9:43 am

39. Less is always better. We seem to have become a culture of more. We’ve supersized our food portions…and even still increase the amount of sugar…

We’re building larger and larger homes, even as farmlands are disappearing, and millions huddle in the elements, homeless.

We’re driving big, big SUVs…using more and more fossil fuels…

What gluts we’ve become. Jaded. Simple and Plain have become flaws…how did that happen?

I agree with Janie. There is a dignity to simplicity…

Beautifully portrayed in your illustration.

Comment by catnapping — March 29, 2009 @ 12:24 pm

40. Great! Very cool idea. And yes, naturally, the omission of the background makes the figure so much more pronounced and gives singular focus. I am inspired to go out and subtract!

All blessings,