Talisman – IF

Masks are often used as a “talisman” in many cultures around the world. They always fascinate me, with their wealth of symbolism and ancestral markings.

At the time, I created this piece, I was trying to find a way, to merge, the body of ancestry that made me…“me”.

How does one incorporate, Portuguese, Carib, Asian and African, into one equally identifying symbol?

Living in a country, where one is identified by race, I wanted as a child, to have something, maybe a “talisman“, that I could carry. A symbol that would identify all those people that physically, mentally, socially, and emotionally made me.

Maybe, then people would see it and recognize all those parts of me, that I hold near and dear to my heart, and try not to put one identifying label on me.

I did found that “talisman“, and I did found my true self in that journey.  Art is my secret and shared talisman.

Art is where I can combine all of me and show the world, the various aspects of me in a visual and tactile way.  We all have some sort of “talisman“, I think what counts is how we use them and what we use them for.

Peace, now and forever for all.

See you next week…:)

1. Very nice entry Indigene! You have a very interesting heritage. Mine is just Polish…nothing else. I’ve never even been to Poland.

Comment by Deb Keirce — April 4, 2009 @ 1:10 pm

2. Art is also like a Talisman to me!!
    Good point of view, and I live that Talisman mask so much too!!

Comment by Rosalia Lerner — April 4, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

3. Hey! This a good entry Indigene! It’s very good and thought provoking too- I like the mask concept… it takes it a step or two further than just a magic bauble to hold.
    Have a wonderful week! Are you getting spring weather in PA yet?- Take care- John

Comment by John York — April 4, 2009 @ 4:52 pm

4. A beautiful and bold image. I also agree with your sentiments. Art (and masks) are powerful talismans indeed!

Comment by Kaya — April 4, 2009 @ 5:09 pm

5. Excellent post and the way you put it… You have such a unique way with concepts… and this is you! Your art! Wonderful, I am happy and blessed to know you! Best to you :-)

Comment by Lisa Rivas — April 4, 2009 @ 7:38 pm

6. this is another excellent piece of art.

Comment by soulbrush — April 5, 2009 @ 2:41 pm

7. There is something very pure and honest about this piece. It’s wonderful to see your work, with the personal explanation about heritage. Thanks for the kind comments on my entry.

Comment by eyecontact — April 5, 2009 @ 3:41 pm

8. great post and the colors and shades on the face makes your mask illustration really intriguing like one may want to know more of what is inside that beautiful mask. the hair (like)on the sides is swaying friendly and welcoming….

Comment by isay — April 5, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

9. Interesting mask image and ideas in your blog entry. A mask both hides and reveals one’s identity … hmmm … great post!

Comment by Spaceman Dave — April 5, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

10. art is your talisman, i love it!!!

Comment by valgalart — April 5, 2009 @ 5:46 pm

11. That talisman looks quite intimidating. You did a wonderful job but I especially like your statement about art as your talisman.

Comment by Ces — April 5, 2009 @ 8:32 pm

12. Oh, Indigene! What a fantastic piece! Your art is always to thoughtful and thought-provoking. You have a truly remarkable talisman.

I have a very special award for you. It means a great deal to me, and I have the honor of making you one of its very first recipients.

Comment by Bella Sinclair — April 5, 2009 @ 9:49 pm

13. Indigene — peace now and forever and for all. Beautiful.

I love this. I hate when people label, it is seriously one thing I can’t stand.

I love that art is your talisman. You are the world that way.

How is your sister. I hope all is well.

Love Renee xoxox

Comment by Renee Khan — April 5, 2009 @ 10:18 pm

14. what a beautiful and misterious mask, and the wealthy and richness of you!! :-)

Comment by cati — April 6, 2009 @ 3:39 am

15. a wonderful talisman..

Comment by kathy hare — April 6, 2009 @ 6:00 am

16. Interesting post about masks. I myself find them kindof scary–because you don’t SEE the person behind them. I understand about the symbolism and identification, but I love people’s faces so much, I always want them visible.

Comment by TMartin — April 6, 2009 @ 6:26 am

17. Very wonderful piece of art. Love all the colors, and the feathery pieces around the mask LOOK feathery. Nice reading your explanation too.

Comment by Kat — April 6, 2009 @ 8:17 am

18. i was thinking that before i looked at the art that this would be a good word for you, you are such a spiritual and magical person and i was right – wonderful illustration – very thought-provoking, xo

Comment by Adrienne — April 6, 2009 @ 9:00 am

19. Indigine,
    As usual, your words are insipring and true. I feel the same way about art.
    I have some masks from Bali and Thailand and when I look at them–I will remember what you wrote.

Comment by Maria Madonna Davidoff — April 6, 2009 @ 1:59 pm

20. i love your take on “talisman” I am still working on mine, but I love the tribal vibe of yours!!

Comment by candace trew camling — April 6, 2009 @ 10:27 pm

21. I’m glad you found your talisman. Your work is beautiful! Great message!

Comment by Edrian Thomidis — April 6, 2009 @ 10:36 pm

22. Indigene, this is so wonderful and mystical! I was actually hooked in the vacancy that I see in its eyes. I like what you said about art as your talisman.:)

Comment by bjornik — April 7, 2009 @ 5:07 am

23. what a lovely message ..true , art is a talisman!

Comment by Pea — April 7, 2009 @ 7:51 am

24. Strong, passionate, powerful – both your narrative and the painting. Yes, art is all of that and yours is wonderful, as are you Indigene.

Comment by Tessa — April 7, 2009 @ 8:22 am

25. very moody. cool!

Comment by josh pincus is crying — April 7, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

26. Gorgeous – really powerful, because so authentic. This sent pleasurable shivers donw my spine!

Comment by Cathy — April 7, 2009 @ 4:19 pm

27. Nice work. Great angle on the “talisman” theme. Love the texture and the realism.

Comment by jack foster — April 7, 2009 @ 4:37 pm

28. Wonderful Indigene! Beautiful story.

Comment by valerie lorimer — April 7, 2009 @ 8:27 pm

29. Thank you for your kind words. Your blog is quite wonderful. Cheers!

Comment by Holly — April 7, 2009 @ 8:29 pm

30. great illustration, beautiful texture in the mask x kas

Comment by Kassi Isaac — April 8, 2009 @ 7:15 am

31. Very powerful. I too am of mixed heritage and it took some work to understand that and make peace with it. I remember in college, we were doing a multiculturalism workshop, and I was the only one who was proud of my white heritage. I think it was because I had something to compare it to, and that I had already done work to understand what it meant to be multi cultural.

Comment by rowena — April 8, 2009 @ 8:29 am

32. Yeah, so true!
    Love the expression you are on with a mask. It’s a form of art, expression…..a cool way to represent oneself, a group, culture etc in an unforgetable symbol.

Comment by yoon see — April 8, 2009 @ 1:08 pm

33. Love the mask concept. Great talisman Indigene.

Comment by denise — April 8, 2009 @ 8:49 pm

34. wow! This fantastic, great illustration

Comment by cobol — April 8, 2009 @ 10:18 pm

35. I agree with you. If all the people on the world were artists then there would be peace and harmony on the world. If I see the reactions I receive on my blog from artist, they are always kind. It gives me every time a warm feeling and I understand why I’m drawing and painting just to make me happy but most of all I hope I can make somebody else happy with my art. By the way I like your illustration and thank you for your comments on my blog. Sorry for my English I hope you understand what I meant.

Comment by Nanda — April 9, 2009 @ 7:21 am

36. Great work. So colorful and expressive!

Comment by Joanie — April 9, 2009 @ 10:28 am

37. Excellent take on the theme. This has a lot of energy and power to it. Nice work!

Comment by get zapped — April 9, 2009 @ 5:32 pm

38. may i say, that this illustration has a very distinct “talismani” feel to me. seems that there is a lot hiding behind this mask. ot’s of magickal knowledge

Comment by Dusik — June 20, 2009 @ 1:23 pm