Hollow – IF

My daughter looked at what I did for this week’s prompt and gave me that teenager’s rolling of eyes and said, “Hollow tree, I mean Mom, really!”

Good thing, I’m not hanging onto her every word! :)

Being creatively blocked right now, has left me wanting only to work with little or no color, back down to the basics. So now, I’m concentrating on simplicity.

I work at a place with over (150) variety of trees and when I have a chance to notice, I notice the beauty in the hollow of the trees. I see all the beauty of the lines and curvature, but it is in the hollowness that tells the depth of a tree’s life. It is what makes you come closer to examine it, to ask the how and the why of it. Hollowness in and of itself tells a story. We just have to be willing to listen.

Be still, quiet and breathe deeply and fill your hollow space with peace and serenity. Peace to you all.

1. I also drew a tree with two colors in my art work. Trees have so much meaning, such as wisdom, strength and life. They grow in the most breath taking place on earth, even the worst. It provides shelter for all of Gods little creaters and shade for all living things. I instantly thought of a tree when I read the word “hollow.” I think we will see alot of them this week.

Comment by cyndia — July 12, 2009 @ 3:58 pm

2. thank you so much for your comment!

Comment by yuriko — July 12, 2009 @ 4:10 pm

3. interesting illo and nice words

Comment by carmen — July 12, 2009 @ 4:44 pm

4. So familiar with the rolling eyes of a teenager! Nice hollow though!

Comment by jenn desjardins — July 12, 2009 @ 6:39 pm

5. LOVE That like work!! You worked it out! It’s wonderful and I’m soooooo glad I had a chance to make you smile today with mr. Kiwi. Yoon See is so funny. She sent that to me. I was laughing while I put him together and when I got to those teeth I just lost it LOL! Thanks for laughing out loud with a sistah! he he hee he!!! Love you! V

Comment by vanessa newton — July 12, 2009 @ 6:54 pm

6. Love your tree, and your writing is as beautiful as always.

Comment by yulia — July 12, 2009 @ 7:12 pm

7. It’s interesting to see how other artists handle creative blocks. I always have to work with color myself. Your drawing gives the illusion of hidden designs, or maybe that’s just me…looking for patterns that don’t exist. Either way, it’s good that you keep drawing. One day the muse will sing to you again on the top of her lungs. ;)

Comment by surrealmuse — July 12, 2009 @ 7:32 pm

8. I love hollow trees Indigene. If you’ve ever heard of letterboxing.org, it’s a fun hobby my kids and I like to do, combining hiking/exploring with a treasure hunt of sorts. Hollow trees are perfect hiding spots for letterboxes.

Comment by DEB — July 12, 2009 @ 8:31 pm

9. Thankyou for visiting me. Nice work.

Comment by Tom├ís — July 13, 2009 @ 2:58 am

10. beautiful linework. i can see some images in your tree, coming out the hollowness of it…..or it’s just showing a story that is yet to be told…..don’t mind me, i am just too sentimental sometimes….

Comment by isay — July 13, 2009 @ 4:47 am

11. I’m not a tree-hugger, but there is something so wonderfully tactile about trees – the texture of the bark, the curvature, the hollows large and small…. Absolutely wonderful image and such beautiful words to accompany the drawing. I really LOVE this one, Indigene.

Comment by Tessa — July 13, 2009 @ 6:44 am

12. Well, *I* happen to think it’s marvelous, both as a take for the topic, and the drawing itself. WHat do kids know anyway?: Mine think that the music I play is awful, and my students all say that I’m crazy. Oh well, huh? You keep it up YOUR way.

Comment by TMartin — July 13, 2009 @ 8:00 am

13. hahahahah….I am still laughing at your daughter rolling her eyes….I can just see it…but I do love the tree and I always love the hollows in them…pretty neat!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!

Hugs
    Diana

Comment by Diana Evans — July 13, 2009 @ 8:58 am

14. Don’t bother about the rolling eyes,we tend to do that a lot. That’s to show you she loves your picture just as much as all of us do!
    I love the perspective you get with your line work!!!

Comment by Yaya — July 13, 2009 @ 9:23 am

15. “the” eyeroll — I know the eyeroll. haha. I hear a moleskin calling you to carry for illos?

Comment by AscenderRisesAbove — July 13, 2009 @ 10:12 am

16. Well, I like it!

Comment by mary taitt — July 13, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

17. beautiful rendering of hollow tree!

Peace to you

Comment by AndyDoodler — July 14, 2009 @ 9:52 am

18. wise words once again my friend! I love the image and trees are in my top 5 favourite things of life :)

Comment by valgalart — July 14, 2009 @ 7:27 pm

19. I feel the sadness of the tree!

Comment by bobo — July 14, 2009 @ 7:56 pm

20. You know, I came close to going with a tree for this week’s theme too. Physically and symbolically, they hold a unique place in our minds. Your is beautiful. I really like the simplicity of it. Thanks for stopping by PaperCuts!

Comment by Patrick — July 14, 2009 @ 10:20 pm

21. Love your tree drawing! Very natural!

Comment by Art Fan Ako — July 15, 2009 @ 1:40 am

22. LOL… guess your daughter would have rolled her eyes at my IF post too as it’s also a tree! Love your tree :)

Comment by yati davies — July 15, 2009 @ 2:15 am

23. beautiful linework!!! there surely is a story behind this :D

Comment by Itsy Dezine — July 15, 2009 @ 3:11 am

24. I like this spontaneous rendering of the hollow tree and its branches…I can almost see animals in it: an owl, and a tiger..How come? :)

Comment by elena inkpage — July 15, 2009 @ 3:15 am

25. Wonderful tree! There is something so ellegant about a hollow tree. Great job!

Comment by Zeldazap — July 15, 2009 @ 5:25 am

26. Looks just like a beautiful maple tree with a hollow knot hole right outside my window. Very nice, expressive drawing, a tree that my robin would love!

Comment by Susan Faye — July 15, 2009 @ 8:52 am

27. Very beautiful, haunting tree!

Comment by MiKa — July 15, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

28. I like that you went for simplicity in this one–it adds to the hollow-ness. I admit, my first thought on this topic was a hollow tree too…it must be a beautiful place where you work!

Comment by zainah — July 15, 2009 @ 3:07 pm

29. Beautiful illustration, and I love the narrative that went along with it. It’s nice to remember to sit back and relax a bit. The world can be quite beautiful if we take time out to notice. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Comment by Anwar — July 15, 2009 @ 3:51 pm

30. Lovely take on black and white piece:)
    Ponder is a way to bring the negative side of hollowness.
    Thanks for dropping by and your lovely comments too.
    Happy weekends and restful mind!

Comment by yoon see — July 15, 2009 @ 7:05 pm

31. those of us with teenage daughters would be wise to listen to your words. Especially the breath deeply quote. :)

Comment by cathie — July 15, 2009 @ 8:39 pm

32. Your tree is truly beautiful and the concept is very timely.
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I always enjoy it when you visit.

Have a great evening.

Comment by Cheryl Lynn — July 15, 2009 @ 9:17 pm

33. Hollow trees have experienced life… and are all the more lovely for it!

Comment by Roberta Baird — July 16, 2009 @ 12:48 am

34. I like your hollow tree – you’re lucky to work where so many varieties of trees surround you!

Comment by Caroline Soer — July 16, 2009 @ 6:10 am

35. I love the ‘bone structure’ of the hollow tree.

Comment by Kay Salem — July 16, 2009 @ 11:44 am

36. Oh, if that tree could talk… it might be as tiring as a teenager. ;) Wonderful, calming words, and beautiful linework.

Comment by Nancy — July 16, 2009 @ 11:58 am

37. Lovely post! Thanks for sharing.

Comment by ann marie — July 16, 2009 @ 8:04 pm

38. nice linework!

Comment by Christina — July 17, 2009 @ 7:05 am

39. This is a beautiful work! It has an interesting texture, which technic did you use?

Comment by dani torrent — July 19, 2009 @ 2:19 am