Tango-IF

Tango is a very specific word, so for me, that didn’t translate into a lot of different meanings…humph…that was my thinking! Tango, I thought, well, I’ll do a couple, dancing a classic tango move.

Well, I can’t begin to tell you how this simple thought turned into an illustration, that wore me out! :)

First, I drew a profile  of a woman. I then cut it out using black paper.   Next, I drew a rose on a piece of scrap watercolor paper, painted it with ink and water color. Then I drew and outline of a couple doing a tango move and then collaged it, using this week’s newspaper coupons. All that was so much fun!

Then, the frustration hit the fan! First, I could not scan it, since it was too big for my scanner and I don’t know how to piece two scans together (yeah, I should, but I don’t!).

Next, I tried to photograph it and the gloss from the collaging, caused too many glare spots on the digital shot. This went on for a couple of hours, me repositioning the illustration, realizing my lighting inside was awful; and then going outside to photograph my creation.

That didn’t work either!

I came back inside, determined to tear the creation up and forget about the prompt for this week!

Oh, did I mention, I went outside, without showering, a T-shirt over my nightgown and flipflops on with my hair sticking up all over my head, looking like I’d stuck my hand in an  electrical socket! I stood in the middle of our parking lot complex, to take this digital photo, and folks, I don’t care who saw me! (there goes making a first good impression, I just moved here!)

I re-cut the silhouette and painted it with black gouache, (used a blow dryer to dry it quickly). Then I cut all the figures out again and put them on a white background. I started the digital photo process again!   Finally, after many words, that I can’t print here!

Voila…TANGO!

I finally had a photo I could use!

So here you have it, a simple illustration with a lot of hours putting it all together!  So my vibe for the week is patience!

Persevere, my friends, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Peace.

1. LOL..you outside not caring a bit what you looked like – all for the love of art. I just love that!
    Thank you for starting my Sunday so happily…your piece is a great testament to persistence – and I enjoy hearing about your love of the process…awesome. : )

Comment by Shirley — July 19, 2009 @ 1:23 pm

2. Wow! That’s what I call perseverance. Well, it paid off because a lot of people including myself are admiring it. I adore the silhouette!

Comment by Art Fan Ako — July 19, 2009 @ 3:50 pm

3. I like this one Indigene! Sillouhettes are so hard to convey emotion with, I think, but you definitely captured the spirit of the tango with these!

Comment by DEB — July 19, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

4. Thank you for your kind comment! I really, really like your couple dancing. Too bad the picture is so small, I would have like to see more of the details in all the textured color. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Spindelmaker — July 19, 2009 @ 4:52 pm

5. I like the two dancers in the background. The story behind the illustration made me smile, thank you!

Comment by Drean Painter — July 19, 2009 @ 5:07 pm

6. Well all that hard work was definitly worth it, i think this is lovely!!! I love the sillouhette, what a great idea. And thanks for the visual, it’s nice to know that it’s not just me that comes across these kinds of obstacles, I’m sure your neighbours will forgive you ;0) x

Comment by Nicola Toms — July 19, 2009 @ 5:12 pm

7. I like the graphic simplicty of this very much – really effective!

Comment by Cathy — July 19, 2009 @ 5:14 pm

8. I’m digging the rose in the teeth!

Comment by josh pincus is crying — July 19, 2009 @ 6:09 pm

9. Well it came out fabulous so all that work was worth it in the end. Do you have Photoshop? stitching a large scan is relatively easy–I can talk you through it if you are interested.

Comment by Heather — July 19, 2009 @ 7:01 pm

10. wowee!! i guess your creative block is over now!

Comment by yati davies — July 20, 2009 @ 2:10 am

11. beautiful!

Comment by Christina — July 20, 2009 @ 6:38 am

12. You rock, girl! All that mad whirl to bring this to fruition was worth it – this is a winner, Indigene. You have captured the essence of the dance beautifully. Gorgeous.

Comment by Tessa — July 20, 2009 @ 10:48 am

13. I’m so glad you persevered. This is one beautiful illustration. You Rock! I understand completely about the glare and the horrible lighting on the inside. I fight with that all the time and it probably has kept me from doing the collage thing as much as I’d like. Shiny paper becomes a nightmare when you’re trying to photograph something with regular house lights.

Thank you so much for dropping by my blog and for the kind, hilarious, and encouraging comments. Have a great week as well, my dear!

Comment by Cheryl Lynn — July 20, 2009 @ 12:56 pm

14. I re-read your “process” to get your creation. I wouldn’t worry about the neighbor’s first impression of you. When they find out you’re an artist, they’ll understand. They’ll just think “free-spirit looney” and you’ll get a free pass. I’ve lived in my house for 22 years and I don’t give a shit what the neighbors think of me.

Your illustration is still very cool.

Comment by joshpincusiscrying — July 20, 2009 @ 3:45 pm

15. All of your hard work was worth it, because the end result is fantastic! This illustration is complex in creation, yet simple and elegant. I’ll admit that I had a great laugh when I read about you in the parking lot. That’s some dedication! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I’ll be looking forward to reading more of your zany art adventures!

Comment by Anwar — July 20, 2009 @ 4:27 pm

16. Glad you dug in your heels and perservered. Lovely to see your beautiful finished work. I especially like the collaged part.

Comment by Momo — July 20, 2009 @ 6:52 pm

17. LOL! Been there done that! I will jump through many hoops to make things work! My husband call me the female Harry Nilsson because I have a habit of walking around in a bathrobe that is covered in paint… real attractive :) You made me laugh and your art is always a wonderful addition to my day!

Comment by valgalart — July 20, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

18. This came out beautifully! Worth all the effort and patience!

Comment by Marie — July 20, 2009 @ 8:22 pm

19. Oh, what an ordeal, but worth it for this creative piece!
    I love your posts!!! Always so interesting. I have gone outside in my pajamas many times, but not for art’s sake…only to let my dog out. :)
    Anyway, if you want to know how to piece things together in Photoshop, let me know and I can e-mail you directions. It will save you some trouble!!

Comment by ann marie — July 20, 2009 @ 8:51 pm

20. the creative tango! What do they think? do you care? how to get it on the page? How to get a great photo/ Ahhhh so frustrating! But definitely worth all your perseverance. It has great composition and perspective!

Comment by messy_fish — July 20, 2009 @ 10:16 pm

21. great concept; like the contrast between the dark silhouette and dancers.

Comment by yulia — July 20, 2009 @ 11:54 pm

22. I’m sweating for you, indigene! After all, your hard work did pay, thanks for sharing this beautiful image!

Comment by bobo&julia — July 21, 2009 @ 12:08 am

23. lovely! and the story is too funny, I am sure your neighbors will be seeing more of that kind of goings on in the future :-) thanks for leaving a comment, which has happily lead me to your blog :–)

Comment by Lia — July 21, 2009 @ 3:12 am

24. I’m so glad you didn’t tear this up in your early stages of frustration! Fantastic work and I enjoyed reading the process. Challenges me to spend more time on these. Thanks.

Comment by Rick — July 21, 2009 @ 10:52 am

25. Well it turned out quite nice… and if I’d have seen you out there I would have thought
    “Truly the heart of an artist lives in that lady in the parking lot!!!”

Comment by roberta baird — July 21, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

26. This is so beautiful!! I just adore this romantic illustration. It’s beautiful. You make me want to tango! Fabu!!!

Comment by vanessa newton — July 21, 2009 @ 8:38 pm

27. Great post — interesting concept and composition and a great message as well! Patience and perseverance, that’s the spirit!

Comment by Monica — July 21, 2009 @ 8:58 pm

28. It was work all the hasle! Great work! Love the design and colors.

Comment by jack foster — July 21, 2009 @ 10:26 pm

29. Just love it – both the illustration and the determination! I too am glad you perservered. Thanks for your comments on my art blog too. It was great to visit yours.

Comment by Kayleen West / Black — July 21, 2009 @ 10:50 pm

30. Lovely! Loved reading about the process. Ah-h the things we artists do for art. -Di

Comment by Diana — July 22, 2009 @ 8:37 am

31. Beautiful story and illustration!

Comment by Nessa Dee — July 22, 2009 @ 8:51 am

32. Your work is so beautiful. After all of that hard work, the tango piece came out wonderfully! It makes me want to dance!!!

Comment by mindy — July 22, 2009 @ 11:57 am

33. way to put a new twist on the concept and work through a creative struggle! love the liveliness of the colorful figures, and the rose :)

Comment by zainah — July 22, 2009 @ 12:45 pm

34. What an effort! You made me smile seeing you dressed funny, you made me laugh in many places explaining your process. What a great finished peice! Thank you for a fun spot in my day!

Comment by Kay Salem — July 22, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

35. The silhouette looks lonely; like she is looking in at a couple and wondering where her other half is. Very cool.

Comment by npw — July 22, 2009 @ 1:44 pm

36. It was all worth it! Great job on this weeks topic. And bravo for the monumental effort.

Comment by Zeldazap — July 22, 2009 @ 3:41 pm

37. I’m glad you didn’t let your negative thoughts take hold and destroy it. What a process! The end result was worth the work. Funny description of you outside taking photos of paper.

Comment by kirk — July 22, 2009 @ 4:39 pm

38. IHi Indigene. We all have the creative block.
    I am most positive after praying to God. Go out and take some rest and inspiration.
    I never give up to be an artist…..Even though sometimes I just feel funny as why this block comes by………if we think positively and overcome it. It will be new perspective to see.
    I am so happy that you are positive as always. Your words and illustration have inspired me to move further. Thanks Indigene:)

Comment by yoon see — July 23, 2009 @ 10:53 am

39. fun images; sorry you had such a tango with the tango.
    not sure if others mentioned it but it might help to get photoshop and use it to correct the lighting in your photos. I would be lost without it. a simple program to run and although classes are needed for more advanced processes; you can correct the lighting in a few seconds and resize it for the net.

Comment by AscenderRisesAbove — July 25, 2009 @ 10:54 am

40. dainty and poised silhouette… who the hell says -you- have a block?!?!?!

Comment by Yaya — July 25, 2009 @ 12:06 pm

41. Take care Indigene!
    Happy weekends from Yoon See!

Comment by yoon see — July 29, 2009 @ 10:22 pm