Caution – IF

I didn’t think I would contribute to Illustration Friday (IF), this week.

The word “caution” did not stimulate my creative flow…at all. I thought about it all weekend and decided last night, “I’ll have to skip the prompt this week”.

But this morning, daydreaming in my office, staring at my soft plushy bear and surrounded by bears (nick-knacks of the toy variety), I remembered how, when I was little, I thought that dancing with polar bears would be great!

(I lived in a very warm climate and thoughts of polar bears was very imaginative).

From that thought, I remembered sketching at the Zoo, and how Zoo officials always caution individuals about getting too close to the animals, and the thought hit me…bears, caution…so after lunch with graphite and watercolor pencils…and some caution tape from the painter on the premises.

Voila! Just when I thought I’d hit the bottom of the creative barrel… lol! (well…maybe I have) :)

As with any wild animal, two legged or four, proceed with caution, but by all means, live on the wild side this week…dance with a few bears…peace.

1. Very nice bears and figure. Before I read your commentary, my interpretation was totally different: I thought the bears should be afraid of the human! So your illustration is rich in meaning.

Comment by Laurel — August 25, 2009 @ 7:38 pm

2. I’m glad that something came to you. And a nice one too. It is amazing how that creativity genie works. (And have you seen the YouTubes “But what if there’s Bears?)

Comment by Heather — August 25, 2009 @ 9:35 pm

3. bears (especially baby polar bears) are too cute… but as you said we have to be cautious around it… cute does not mean friendly! and no… i don’t think you’ll ever reach the bottom of your creative barrel!! it’s just too full! :)

Comment by yati davies — August 25, 2009 @ 9:36 pm

4. Great work! I really liked reading your story on how you got to your idea, it’s funny how our mind works and where our ideas take us! The polar bears are great I really like the pose of the one sitting down!

Comment by Nicola Toms — August 25, 2009 @ 10:47 pm

5. Oops – should have put my message here – the bears are awesome! :) e

Comment by elizabeth dulemba — August 26, 2009 @ 7:51 am

6. Here comes the bears looking all delicious and white. I love them and I love the post. My daughter was talking to her cousin not long ago about polar bears. The cousin talked about how they were so sweet and that she wanted one. Well my 9 yrs vet told her a thing or two or three about the polar. You should have seen me I !!! I was screaming!!! Then I come over here and see all this caution around the poor white polar bear and now I have tears streaming down my face and I can’t breathe!! You are the crazy one!! Oh and this is why i love you and your work. Now I have to clean myself. I know TMI LOL!!!!! Love you Pudd!
    v

Comment by vanessa newton — August 26, 2009 @ 9:01 am

7. Nice polar bear sketches! If polar bears won’t keep you on your toes I don’t know what will.

Comment by RM Smith — August 26, 2009 @ 9:47 am

8. What a great story, and drawing! I like that you just went with it and incorporated the caution tape.

Comment by peggy — August 26, 2009 @ 10:02 am

9. Those bears are soooo cool! I’m glad you didn’t skip this week!

Comment by thedoodlegirl — August 26, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

10. What a great illustration! Really love all the line details. Thanks for the nice comment on my IF illo :)

Comment by Carey B. — August 26, 2009 @ 2:46 pm

11. Great job Indigene! I’m sure glad you came up with an entry for “caution!”

Comment by DEB — August 26, 2009 @ 5:12 pm

12. You have done well with your idea and illo. I too had difficulty coming up with something and chose an old picture. So good on you for pushing yourself, cos you came up with a great image.

Comment by gai — August 26, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

13. wonderful bears!!! glad you decided to play along :) i always wonder about those people that just happen to fall in the bear area at the zoo… it must really be weird for the bears :)

Comment by valgalart — August 26, 2009 @ 9:49 pm

14. very nice, I love this, and definitely proceed with caution when dealing with bears and all other wildlife for that matter, great illustration for the topic

Comment by cobol — August 26, 2009 @ 10:14 pm

15. This was fun to read and good advice! Thank goodness you used caution before giving up on your imagination this week! Nice polar bears!
    P.S.
    Thanks for your comment on my blog!

Comment by michele — August 27, 2009 @ 12:40 am

16. What a nice dream: dancing with bears. I have gotten the question several times, if it is true that polar-bears walk around in the streets in Norway. They don´t. Not on the mainland. But in Svalbard they do, an island way north. and there you actually always have to carry a gun if you are leaving town, just to be safe. Cause when they have been without food all winter, they will get dangerous…

Comment by Spindelmaker — August 27, 2009 @ 1:01 am

17. Beautiful drawings and a great story! That’s one of the things I like about IF – it makes you think. Oh and thanks for visiting my blog Indigene. x

Comment by Liza — August 27, 2009 @ 1:22 am

18. I like your bears a lot!
    And thank you for commenting on my blog.

Comment by Keiko — August 27, 2009 @ 2:26 am

19. Dancing with polar bears… Yes, good idea. I can imagine Fred Astair, he, he

Comment by Tomás — August 27, 2009 @ 3:19 am

20. Thanks for visiting and comment on my blog! I think inspiration can hit at any time…so bravo for keeping at it. Love your bears, they do look menacing!

Comment by linda — August 27, 2009 @ 5:49 am

21. I love how you have mixed your childhood dreams, your thoughts and current surroundings to create this piece!
    Proceed with caution but leaving on the wild side… you have the unique ability to synthesize ideas in a clear and elegant way :)
    Thanks for your visit and kind comment at my blog.

Comment by paola — August 27, 2009 @ 9:07 am

22. haha, what a great way to get out of a slump! fab collage and wonderful drawings. :)

Comment by Nancy — August 27, 2009 @ 11:19 am

23. I always wanted a polar bear cub for a pet, but that’s probably just as dangerous as dancing with them! Very nice sketches!

Comment by Nessa Dee — August 27, 2009 @ 12:56 pm

24. Sometimes the stuff at the bottom of the contains the best of the barrel!
    I love to read the inspiration behind your work ….so much wisdom!

Comment by roberta baird — August 27, 2009 @ 9:52 pm

25. What a lovely thought, dancing with polar bears! Well done for following the whimsical.

Comment by Alisa — August 28, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

26. I like the way you mixed the type and the image of the polar bear. Nice bears!

Comment by Maria Madonna Davidoff — August 29, 2009 @ 6:15 am

27. Wonderful image. I think they best thing about caution is throwing it in the wind. Beautiful bears!

Comment by Zeldazap — August 30, 2009 @ 3:05 pm

28. I like what you did with the prompt. That happens to me sometimes- I feel totally uninspired by a prompt.

Comment by Amariah Rauscher — August 30, 2009 @ 8:54 pm

29. I missed you the most this month… haven’t done much i.f’ing-but at last summer is over, back to the routine and the joy of finding a topic every friday to break it!!!

I love the CAUTION in caution and I sympathise with the polar bear part… i used to want to cuddle them too (also loved tigers and lions… part of it was disney’s fault!).

can’t wait to see MAGNIFY… your work is always so original…and i’m sure i speak for many when i say- you’ve really encouraged so many of us!

thanks for always being there!

Comment by Yaya — August 31, 2009 @ 2:32 am

30. Lovely illos! I love the idea of dancing w/bears but by all means proceed with caution!

Comment by Diana Delosh — August 31, 2009 @ 12:52 pm

31. nice illustration, I like the bears and the composition whith the words…

Comment by carmen — September 1, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

32. I like the big bear face on the left page! Like I say “Bear careful!” LOL

Comment by Art Fan Ako — September 2, 2009 @ 8:32 pm

33. Wonderful image. I think they best thing about caution is throwing it in the wind. Beautiful bears!…

Comment by Arista — September 10, 2009 @ 10:05 am

34. It’s so unfair that such cute animals are so dangerous! Sweet illos!

Comment by emily — September 11, 2009 @ 10:11 am