Hatching Ideas

I had a long commute to work today as a passenger. I was tired of the radio, and watching other cars, go by. I looked in my handbag to see what I could find, so that I wouldn’t fall asleep! I’m not usually my best with sleep lines on my face from odd head positions while napping with no pillow.

Rummaging through my big tote bag yielded a Christmas catalog, a six-inch ruler, scissors, a couple of pieces of watercolor paper, my KOI pocket field sketch box with water brush, a glue stick, micro-pen, and a graphite pencil.  I knew today was the only time I was going to have a small chunk of time to do an illustration for the prompt for Illustration Friday, the word for this week is “hatch”.

Honestly, with the holidays around the corner, and everywhere you look you see festive houses, streets and stores, the festivity has a way of imprinting itself on your mind! And the IF prompt, for me anyway, only flashed pictures of eggs, hatchback cars and spring.

So here it is, an illustration for “Hatch”!

I hope that everyone’s creativity and ideas hatch into some wonderful real life scenarios for 2010.

Peace to you all.

1. Ha, ha, ha… I lke the idea and his face.

Comment by Tomás — December 15, 2009 @ 2:59 am

2. hahahah Very cute and funny idea!!! Love the little Christmas hat!!

Comment by Nicola Toms — December 15, 2009 @ 3:55 am

3. Cute and Very Christmassy :). I didnt think of hatchback cars…

Comment by Evelyn — December 15, 2009 @ 4:49 am

4. Brilliant! I love it – love the colour and expression. Great work

Comment by Alex — December 15, 2009 @ 7:59 am

5. Love your story behind the painting, Indigene! Wonderful work!

Comment by Justin Segal — December 15, 2009 @ 9:06 am

6. I love that. Thank you!! And yeah, I agree, not at my best with crease marks from no-pillow-odd-sleeping positions either. Love you!! Thank you for inspiring me today.

Comment by lynda — December 15, 2009 @ 10:44 am

7. Very clever!! We can tell that you are looking forward to a brand new year. (Though in these parts one can’t ride the bus with scissors!)

Comment by AscenderRisesAbove — December 15, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

8. Fun idea for the season:)

Comment by Carrie Anne — December 15, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

9. I can see you are welcoming the New year with lots of ideas. Happy Holiday!

Comment by serline — December 15, 2009 @ 1:01 pm

10. Chirp Chirp! Merry Christmas! Oh, Indigene, he’s adorable! I sure wish babies would hatch this way. It would make delivery a little easier, no? :) You sure made GREAT use of commuting time.

Comment by Bella Sinclair — December 15, 2009 @ 8:31 pm

11. Shows the wonder and joy of Christmas !

Comment by Andrew — December 15, 2009 @ 10:17 pm

12. Great work!

Comment by Cally Jane — December 16, 2009 @ 4:56 am

13. What a cool illustration!
    You sure do carry a lot of stuff around with you.
    If I carried all of that, I wouldn’t have room for my hand grenades and Uzi. I do have a couple of mirco pens, though.

Happy holiday, whichever one you celebrate this year!
    JPiC

Comment by josh pincus is crying — December 16, 2009 @ 11:55 am

14. very nice, so bright and cheerful, it made me smile

Comment by cobol — December 16, 2009 @ 1:02 pm

15. Great idea – this is so cute! Love his expression and the hat. Can’t believe you did it on the go!

Comment by Hannah M — December 16, 2009 @ 2:04 pm

16. Brilliant idea! Love the juxtaposition! :D

Comment by Gavin Goo — December 16, 2009 @ 8:17 pm

17. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Your idea is so cool, love the mixed media!

Comment by Susan — December 16, 2009 @ 10:28 pm

18. What a funny little drawing. I like curious expression on the little elf’s face which is a mix of indignity, confusion and alertness. I can imagine the caption being ‘Wake me up at Easter.”

Comment by AprilinParis — December 17, 2009 @ 1:45 am

19. Good idea!! ;) marry christmas to you :)

Comment by Roma Gutierrez — December 17, 2009 @ 3:23 am

20. A little baby Santa in the egg. Interesting idea and good work.

Comment by drawforjoy — December 17, 2009 @ 3:46 am

21. That’s multi-tasking! Great work!

Comment by Krista Hamrick — December 17, 2009 @ 4:58 am

22. Wow – That’s amazing that you can work in transit and hatch something lovely! Bravo indeed. Truly inspiring.

Comment by Diana Delosh — December 17, 2009 @ 10:39 am

23. wow! you carry all that stuff in your tote! Sign of a true artist. It’s amazing what you’ve created while on the run! :D

Comment by bluerose — December 17, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

24. I look at him as the New Years baby! I’m all for hatching a new year, aren’t you?

Great one Indigene!

xo

Comment by studio lolo — December 17, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

25. This is too cute! It’s hard doing the Illustration Friday when that’s the day that I’m spent after working all week. My energy levels are so low that I can hardly pick up a pencil, much less, paint brushes.

I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend, and that your Holiday Season is just as fantastic as you are!

Comment by Cheryl Lynn — December 17, 2009 @ 9:39 pm

26. Wow, you did this while traveling on a car?! I would usually get a major headache just by reading a few lines from a newspaper… bravo! And thanks for stopping by my blog, your comment was really kind. (^_^)

Comment by Amalia K — December 18, 2009 @ 12:11 am

27. christmas baby! nice.

Comment by Jin Lee — December 18, 2009 @ 1:46 pm

28. Great illustration!

Comment by nessa dee — December 20, 2009 @ 9:43 pm

29. Very cute. Amazing that you had everything you needed in your bag–way to be prepared!

Comment by Heather Hanlin — December 27, 2009 @ 1:37 pm

30. Did you actually make this in the car?? Smooth roads you’ve got over there. ;) Cute idea! And congrats on the featured art, looks very spiritual – also loved to see your description of your art for the profession artist-blog. …you should post a photo of that bag of yours; got it at the same place as Ms Poppins? ;)

Comment by Nancy — December 27, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

31. Happy New Year Indigene!

Comment by Maria Madonna Davidoff — December 31, 2009 @ 6:02 am