Spider Woman

Another painting in my Goddess Series is Spider Woman. I’m not doing the goddess series in any order, other than they way that they come to me; nor do I have any idea how many paintings will complete the series, I’ll let them determine that. This is a great educational process and fantastic artistic journey!

Spider Woman is an important goddess among many southwestern Native American tribes.  Spider Woman is responsible for bringing fire to the Pueblo, Tewa and Kiwa tribes.

For the Hopi tribes, Spider Woman is a creator of the moon, and their  emergence into the world. Spider Woman has the power to give and take life, and is connected to hunting and agriculture.

Cherokee Grandmother Spider brought people the sun and fire. She taught them pottery, weaving, and how to make ceremonial blessings.

The great blessings and history of Spider Woman will not “expire and will continue to be a wonderful tradition in Native American culture. Remember to pass on your cultural and family traditions so that they will live on for generations to come!

Work-In-Progress: The Spider Woman painting started out as a graphite sketch, proceeding to mix media including: ink, watercolor, acrylic and finally a light glaze of oil paint! It was a timely process, but so worth the luminosity that cannot be seen on any screen version!

1. This is really cool. I’m enjoying the development of your goddess series. So interesting, so creative and on topic! I agree, perpetuating traditions is important, whether through families or communities. There’s always so much to share with each other!

Comment by michele — March 19, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

2. oh what a great series Indigene!!! I never heard of Spider Woman….

Comment by Diana Evans — March 19, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

3. Oh Indigene, she’s magical and wise! I love seeing what she started from and how she evolved. Wonderful!!!

Comment by studio lolo — March 19, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

4. This series is so rich!! I really love her hair and the pinks!

Comment by Krista Hamrick — March 19, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

5. Hi Indigene, Just got your comment as I was writing my response, thanks so much! I LOVE this goddess series you’re doing, it is so interesting! What a beautiful painting of ‘Spider Woman’! I have heard of her, but had no idea she was present in so many cultures. Thank you SO much for the wonderful background information, I love Native American myths and legends and have been studying them lately for a project I’m working on. Kudos to you for sharing your knowledge. Thanks too for sharing your creative process, it’s always fascinating to see how other artists work. Bravo!

Comment by Susan — March 19, 2010 @ 7:25 pm

6. Hi there, what a lovely painting. I love your use of colour in your work and it always has such meaning, beautiful piece!

Comment by Nicola Toms — March 19, 2010 @ 11:49 pm

7. Just Beautiful. You have a wonderful story to tell through your work and your use of colour is amazing.

Comment by klylie from one red fox — March 20, 2010 @ 7:30 am

8. your work very innovative and inspiring =) thanks alot for your kind comments.

Comment by ifmorningsbeganatnoon — March 20, 2010 @ 7:23 pm

9. A very beautiful illustration! I love her colourful clothing.

Comment by serline — March 21, 2010 @ 5:02 am

10. Spider Woman is wonderful, even if I can’t STOP staring at that spider! Love that you’re doing this goddess series, reminds me of an Indian Animal Guide series I did years ago. Look forward toward seeing more as they evolve!

Comment by Justin Segal — March 21, 2010 @ 8:28 am

11. OH Honey!!! This is simply MAGNIFICENT!!! I love the spider! This going to be outrageous I just know it. YOU GO GIRL! I will be checking on this to see what else you have up the brilliant sleeve of yours! Love you girly!
    V

Comment by vanessa newton — March 21, 2010 @ 8:36 am

12. This is lovely. Thank-you for the story of spider woman. My granny always loved spiders because they create their world from within.
    ~Deb~

Comment by Deb Clandening — March 23, 2010 @ 9:42 pm

13. so cool! i love the idea and mystery of this! We have lots of spiders where i live ;) beautiful image and idea!!!

Comment by valgalart — March 24, 2010 @ 6:39 am

14. Great illo!Wonderful idea and colours!

Comment by theartofpuro — March 24, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

15. Powerful series you're working on!
    Wonderful!

Comment by roberta baird — March 25, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

16. Lovely!

Comment by Alina Chau — March 25, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

17. You paint with rich and wonderful colours! The rainbow variation in the spider web is beautiful.

Comment by roguedoe — March 27, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

18. Hello Indigene.

Wow! Really lovely and great concept too.
    Although i don't drop by as often but I will drop by when I am more free.
    Happy weekends:)

Comment by yoon see — April 1, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

19. this is so cool – such deep meaning!
    (btw; I am doing a paint by number exchange if you would like to join in. there will be a group working internationally. I can change the deadline if it doesn't work for you: http://ascenderrisesabove.com/?p=10787

Comment by AscenderRisesAbove — October 25, 2010 @ 12:57 am