Iconic Dread – Layering Process

As part of my “Dread” Series, I’ve created another painting which has an iconic presence. Icons in general culture  is more like a  symbol — for example, a name, face, picture, or even a person readily recognized as having some well-known significance or embodying certain qualities or maybe that represents something  of greater significance, usually associated with religious, cultural, political, or economic standing.

The painting began as a graphite drawing, layered with color, then layered with more color…again and again! The whole process of creating is a layered project, which begins as an idea sparked from a creative well from my mind, soul or spirit.

This weekend, it’s dreads, presence and color. What iconic presence resonates with you?  In peace.

1. For me that's a no brainer: crows. I love the combination of the graphite with the layers of colour. It's so symbolic of our lives. Nice one, Indigene.

Comment by andrea — February 21, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

2. Love the colors and the sanctuary window effect. So happy that you are connecting with your inner depths.

Comment by Judith Applegate — February 21, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

3. Intriguing illustration and good text for 'Layer'.
    I have to think which icons presences resonate with me.
    Keep dreaming and painting!
    Paula

Comment by Mindful Drawing — February 22, 2011 @ 1:21 am

4. She is a beauty! Amazing and strong and looks like my people. I love it. Such a great sense of regal-ness about her. Love that color too. WONDERFUL. My husband is sometimes upset because he cut his locs. He wants them back so badly, but he wants me to do them and maintain them. I'm as bald as Kojack and now he wants me to do hair again???? I will tell him that he can come here and take a look at your beautiful loc and he done with it. he he he he he he he! Thanks so much for you warm and hilarious comments they make my day.
    Hugs
    V

Comment by Vanessa — February 22, 2011 @ 5:23 am

5. very cool, Indigene! i love the colors :)

Comment by got caught — February 22, 2011 @ 5:26 am

6. Ha! At first I thought "Dread" meant " dreading that test tomorrow"! I like your mix of flat and volume. Have you ever seen the work of Aya Uekawa? She uses that technique, too.

Thanks again for all of your support. We ought to have a real conversation someday. It would be fun!

P.S. How did you put that Like button on the end of your posts?

Comment by Lynette — February 22, 2011 @ 8:57 am

7. Dreads can be so beautiful! Wish I had hair that was thick enough for dreads. I really like your colors, how you´ve built the picture and almost framing the face with the ornamental colors.

Comment by spindelmaker — February 22, 2011 @ 11:18 am

8. A gull for me! I can't tell you why as I am not sure.
    Your style is wonderful, so bold and original. Thanks,
    Pia

Comment by Pia Drent — February 22, 2011 @ 11:50 am

9. A very striking image!

Comment by Vicki Smith — February 22, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

10. Great strong colours and interesting concept.

Comment by Cathy — February 22, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

11. Nice contrast here with the face and flat colors and patterns on the back…

Comment by brine blank — February 22, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

12. What power, Indigene! Her confident face surrounded by those vibrant, bold colors and thick, straight lines. She is strength. She is beautiful!

Aaah, my dear, you cracked me up. Baked "crack"! Hahahaha!

Comment by Bella Sinclair — February 22, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

13. A strong post and illustration, I especially like the woman's eyes – eyes of wisdom!

Comment by bobo & julia — February 23, 2011 @ 4:32 am

14. hello Ms. Indigene ;)

I love the altar effect this has on me. A very powerful piece♥

Comment by studio lolo — February 23, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

15. Very thoughtful! I love the over all earthy tone.

Comment by MiKa Art — February 23, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

16. Nice color contrast! and interesting reflexion!
    And many thanks for passing by Indigene!

Comment by angels — February 23, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

17. You always have so many layers to your work, Indigene!

Comment by krista hamrick — February 23, 2011 @ 6:33 pm