Grounding Myself In Courage

©2001-2012 Indigene Theresa Gaskin– Image: “Brave Warrior”)

This year my intention is Courage. I did not come to this intent quickly or lightly, but through…the power of daily meditation, prayer, silence and deep listening.

So what does this mean?

This means I will not wait for fear to go away before I move forward with new ideas and dreams that need to be realized. The only way I can dissolve fear is to begin to move with it.

I have heard, that the thing that stands in the way of us creating the life we want, will only go away, if we start creating it. Yet, this is the most fearful aspect of beginning that life!

So like a brave warrior, I am empowered by my first step…setting my intention. Intent needs to have action to follow it…so I have posted my intent, in various place in my home, in my studio and I have found a visual for my intent. (See image). So by blogging this, my intent is in the world!

These are the steps for me to build a foundation grounding myself in this intent.

These baby steps of intent and action, will give me more courage to take many more steps, as I give myself time and space to experience the voices of my fears, moving with purpose, while staying aligned with my intention and fiercely committed as each day poses its challenges and rewards.

I take courage and content in the fact that none of us journey alone. Take heart in knowing we are all are doing it together.
  1. Hi, Indigene, the following mantra has been in my mind the last weeks and it resonates with your intention.
    It is this " 'Faith and fear can not occupy the same space'.
    It is very simple and therefore very powerful.
    Cheers to you!
    Paula

Comment by Mindful Drawing — January 9, 2012 @ 9:07 am

2. Yes, so true. But the key is having faith first…

Comment by indigene1 — January 9, 2012 @ 9:35 am

3. I love your woman warrior with her animals. I think I need to meditate on courage too. As FDR said, "The only thing to fear is fear itself". Wishing you the best in 2012!!

Comment by Linda Hensley — January 9, 2012 @ 9:36 am

4. I was so sorry to hear of your losses last year & wish you a triumphant, courageous 2012! I'm also a very shy & timid person at heart & one of the concepts that has helped me most is "Feel the fear & do it anyway"– from Susan Jeffers– & remember, courage is not the absence of fear,
    but the willingness to take action despite it. I find I'm slightly braver with every passing year, so I have hope!
    All best, Leah

Comment by curious Art — January 9, 2012 @ 10:01 am

5. Thanks for stopping by Linda! It's amazing how much courage come into play daily, so it keeps me on my toes or not! :)

Comment by indigene1 — January 9, 2012 @ 10:14 am

6. Thank you so much Leah! Yes, I have S. Jeffers' book! I've found meditation and having the word in front of me keeps me on track! I think the lifestyle of an artist helps us to keep our fears hidden.

Comment by indigene1 — January 9, 2012 @ 10:16 am

7. AWESOME painting! …. shooting at the walls of heartache/bang bang/ I am the warrior…………

Comment by joshpincusiscrying — January 9, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

8. Wonderful Intent… courageous you are! A total inspiration – love you :-)

Comment by Flying Colors — January 9, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

9. Thanks, Josh!!!! Hmm…there's some live targets, too! LOL!!

Comment by indigene1 — January 9, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

10. Thanks Lisa, you're always been so encouraging…it very much appreciated!

Comment by indigene1 — January 9, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

11. I've found that the more I use courage the easier it gets and some things don't deem so daunting at all. Good luck 'brave warrior' !

Comment by Cathy Holtom — January 10, 2012 @ 6:18 am

12. It's nice to know that someone else is in there with you at times. This is such an encouraging word for today.
    I send you major hugs and best wishes! If we keep encouraging and cheering each others on there is nothing
    that we can't do!! YOU GO GIRL!
    Love ya
    V

Comment by Vanessa — January 10, 2012 @ 6:34 am

13. You're right Cathy, it does get easier, but it's also nice to hear confirmation on it! Thanks so much! :)

Comment by indigene1 — January 10, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

14. Nessa! My inspiration! Thanks for stopping by! :) I'm taking your lead on this! :) Love ya back! :)

Comment by indigene1 — January 10, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

15. Wow, that is a strong visual image! Living with fear and moving forward takes a lot of courage but with this image I'm sure you will do it.

Comment by nicky linzey — January 12, 2012 @ 11:08 am

16. Happy New Year Nicky! Yeah, for courage I needed a strong image and she's strong! :) Thanks for stopping by!

Comment by indigene1 — January 12, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

17. You go, girl!

Comment by krista — January 12, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

18. Lol! Thanks Krista! I need some cheerleading for this one! :)

Comment by indigene1 — January 12, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

19. My brave, courageous, strong, inspiring, and creative friend, happy new year! What a GREAT empowering image to keep you motivated. May this year be THE ONE. Many blessings and creative spark and love to you!

Comment by bella sinclair — January 15, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

20. Oh Bella, you've made my day! :) Thank you and I sincerely hope so! :) Ditto for you and your beautiful girls! :)

Comment by indigene1 — January 16, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

21. Very VERY nice piece!

Comment by Ellen Byrne — January 21, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

22. Thanks so much Ellen! :)

Comment by indigene1 — January 21, 2012 @ 4:56 pm