Monday Laser Focus…

This month is a time of some big transitions and rescheduling my time, so that I can get the most out of my studio days. Yesterday, I was feeling on edge, because of some new changes in my my work life. More to the point,  I was super anxious. Yes, I’m excited about becoming more laser sharp on my time management and reorganization. But, I’m also wildly nervous, which sometimes leads to a vicious cycle of being stuck in place and getting no where!

However, looking through my art journal, and concentrating on my intentions for this month, I am sharpening my focus. I know that I don’t want to just flounder around all day, procrastinating, so I made a more precise schedule for my days in the studio.

I laid it all out in time segments of a half hour, including time for breaks, checking emails, exercise, with other big chunks devoted to business tasks and research, and of course, time for art making.

The rest of the week, will be devoted to  “less” art-related things, so it’s really, really, really important for me to focus on Mondays.  My new Monday Studio Schedule isn’t meant to be absolutely rigid. If something comes up, I’m prepared to switch things around, but, there are just some things that have to get done on Mondays and can not be pushed. But it was extremely helpful for me to put time limits on things because sometimes I get sucked into one thing for far too long and my brain numbs out, but with this new way of scheduling, I believe I will be able to keep on track for each half hour and then move on.

I need to really focus on my time, now that the days are getting shorter, and I have a lot more activities that will require me to be even more organized. This strategy should certainly help make my newly named, “Marketing Mondays” a lot more efficient.

Does scheduling days or hours work effectively for you or are you more a “fly by the seat of your pants” person? I’d love to know what works for you!

1. I am intentional about my time but I don't keep a schedule that is by the half hour…but it is related to when things need to be done. I can't wait to hear how it all works out.

Comment by Tammy — October 8, 2012 @ 9:35 pm

2. Tammy, it worked well yesterday! I'm thinking that it will work on on Mondays for me, since that's a jam-packed day for me. It also works for the control freak that's in me. LOL!

Comment by indigene1 — October 9, 2012 @ 6:20 am

3. Pretty much fly by the seat of my pants which really doesn't work so great. Your post is inspiring! I like journal page! Your blog looks great too!

Comment by June Maddox — October 9, 2012 @ 6:55 am

4. Thanks June! I like flying by the seat of my pants, too! When the days get shorter, I tend to want to hibernate and snuggle, so less gets done! LOL! I have so much going on right now, too! Mondays are going to be the only day, I do this for now…I'll see how it goes. Thanks again for your comments regarding the journal page and blog! :)

Comment by indigene1 — October 9, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

5. I have to admit that I work better when I schedule myself, but I hate it and feel like a 2-yr-old having a temper tantrum sometimes. I think the biggest thing I've learned about schedules is to schedule pleasant time in too. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Comment by Linda Hensley — October 9, 2012 @ 7:00 am

6. Thanks Linda! Schedule in the breaks and fun are a must, because if I didn't then I would procrastinate and get nothing done! Knowing a break or a fun activity is on the schedule gives me something to look forward to. :) So far, I got so much completed on Monday! :) I hope I can keep it up! :)

Comment by indigene1 — October 9, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

7. Love your Marketing Monday! I have to schedule my days all the time or I will for sure FLOUNDER around! Thanks for the inspiration!

Comment by jeana morrison noel — October 9, 2012 @ 11:21 am

8. Thanks Jeana! It looks like the schedule, I'm working with, that Mondays will have to be for marketing and that means all 8 hours! We'll keep each other inspired! :)

Comment by indigene1 — October 9, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

9. Now that's impressive….every half hour. If I've leaned anything, it's that commitment to something, even on a trial basis, ALWAYS teaches me something. I don't really "schedule" but I'll often have thoughts like : "Oh my God, I've GOT to get my ass in gear!…" which will EVOKE a schedule, even if it's for a day or two. As Tammy said, it'll be fun to see how this goes for you. We never know when we'll come upon the key to a wonderful new "wow my life is better" thing. You Rock.

Comment by Lisa Hoffman — October 9, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

10. LOL! Lisa, if I don't use this idea on Mondays, I can throw marketing out the window, since it's the only time, I'll have to do it! LOL! The half-hour makes me feel, good, since I can cross things off a list and feel great for that half-hour. I hope this is a "Wow" factor! You Rock, Too! :) :)

Comment by indigene1 — October 9, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

11. Indigene, I am most definitely a "fly by the seat of your pants" kinda girl! It is funny that you posted about scheduling your time and being better organized… I just last week pulled out my iPad and turned my day planner into a electronic format (don't always have my day planner with me but ALWAYS have my iPad with me…) and promised to myself that I wouldn't ignore the calendar alerts like I usually do and be better at managing my time so I'm not so stressed and appearing "last minute." You post encourages me to stay on this path. Maybe we can encourage each other! Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment by Art Journal Love — October 9, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

12. Sumaiyah, I hear you! That was part of my problem, ignoring my alerts on my calendar! So now, I have a chalk board in front of my desk, so I can't get away from the schedule! I don't like being stressed, yet I was waiting until the last minute to do things, which stressed me! What we do to ourselves….Anyhow, we will have to encourage one another. :)

Comment by indigene1 — October 9, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

13. Gorgeousness!! Sounds like an awesome schedule too.

Comment by Shelly — October 9, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

14. Thanks Shelly! :) I have to admit, this first Monday went great! :)

Comment by indigene1 — October 10, 2012 @ 5:23 am

15. I think your monday idea is great- it gives a strong start to the week and as we all know the latter part of our weeks can become much harder to shore up. Good luck with it all! Love your work by the way :)

Comment by josephinehands — October 9, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

16. Thanks Josephine! I have to admit it really worked for this Monday and I felt great at accomplishing so much! It made me feel in charge of my life, instead of the other way around. You're so right about the rest of the week. Here it is mid-week and I feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride! LOL! Thank you for loving my work and stopping by! :) :)

Comment by indigene1 — October 10, 2012 @ 5:25 am

17. Great work! So glad to be participating in Flying Lessons with so many talened women like yourself! ~ Seasons of Grace & Wisdom

Comment by keahn — October 10, 2012 @ 10:15 am

18. Thanks so much, Keahn, for your encouragement! I'm loving the Flying Lessons, too!

Comment by indigene1 — October 10, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

19. I have days where I "work" from a place of pure intuition. No plans. No schedules. Simply trusting my *knowing* and Gettin' It Done.

Annnd I have those days where tasks are identified, time estimated and all scheduled in my planner.

And I have days that are a mix of these things ~ and more (which I can't quite articulate, and I thank you for this mysterious consideration).

I appreciate all of these approaches and realize the value each holds.

Comment by rose — October 13, 2012 @ 5:40 am

20. I know what you mean Rose! I think for me, I have to schedule some of my time, because, I tend to lose too much otherwise on so many different levels. I think with things that can cause me lots of stress, I need to schedule my time, since I will procrastinate the heck out of it! :) It's great you know what works for you! :)

Comment by indigene1 — October 13, 2012 @ 11:39 am

21. I admire your determination to find a workable way to work and accomplish your art projects, Indigene! I tend to be a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" sort of person: whatever is screaming loudest, has the shortest deadline…or looks like the most FUN is usually what I dive into. I am embarrassed to say that I either need very big blocks of time to re-find and work in my creative groove…or very short deadlines (read: pressure). I crave a regular, orderly life but the closest I came to that was when I lived alone. Having another person, also an artist with his own rythmes, needs and social schedule, complicates things by much more than a X2 factor, I've found. Ah…but there is much more to Life than getting things done, I remind myself! Thanks for sharing your progress report! :-)

Comment by Susan Sorrell Hill — October 13, 2012 @ 10:50 am

22. I hear you Susan! But please realize my scheduling isn't a daily thing, as much as I'd like it to be. Living with and loving others forces me to fly by the seat of my pants more often than I'd like. :)

Comment by indigene1 — October 13, 2012 @ 11:41 am

23. Hi Indigene!
    I think the world must be telling me to better schedule my time. After getting back from vacation, I was behind on our KRR class. Last week (which I read today) was all about organization + schedules. Then I read this post.

I love that you write what your intentions are. And I love that you call them intentions, rather than the boring "goal" word! I find it inspiring!

Comment by Becky — October 15, 2012 @ 9:23 am

24. Hi Becky,

But you had a wonderful vacation, with adventures and lots to tell, so the hell w/schedules! LOL! Why is vacation followed by a flurry of activities to catch up on? It's like you get punished for having a good time when you return. I have to put my intentions out there, otherwise, it's too easy not to do them. :) Can't wait to read your new posts! :) Thanks you for your wonderful encouragement.

Comment by indigene1 — October 15, 2012 @ 11:48 am

25. […] Monday Laser Focus… […]

Pingback by Is You Life Full of Barriers or Is It Laser Focused? | APreachasKid — June 23, 2014 @ 9:11 am