50+ and growing pains…

Isn’t there a saying about “teaching an old dog, new tricks or there’s no fool, like an old fool”…with saying like these who wants to admit they’re still learning about themselves after 50?! Maybe that’s why many of us pretend that we have it all together. Well, I know, I don’t  have it all together, and I’m not pretending to either!

My art still teaches me more about myself daily. I’ve just completed one of two recent commissions.   This painting was a challenge on many levels:

• Self-imposed time constraints
  • I don’t usually do pet portraits
  • my perfectionist nature and my lack of experience in pet portraits had my critical self (aka “Grimlette”) conspiring against me.
  • illness…the flu

Yet I am so happy that it is completed and I’m very proud of myself for not giving up. I’ve learned some valuable lessons about myself during this process:

• be true to your artistic process
  • there will always be obstacles
  • I still really don’t like doing pet portraits
  • I enjoyed challenging myself in an area unexplored
  • I enjoy making others happy
  • I work better with a to-do list
  • I am totally human and I’d better get used to it! :)

Hope’s Snow

I’ve missed being in the studio, creating paintings and it feels good to be back; it’s where I’m most happiest and most challenged. At 54, it feels good to still be open to learning more about myself and changing in spite of myself.  This will be my first painting going to Russia!

What lessons are you still learning?

1. Awww that's a great lookin' doggie Indigene! As soon as I saw it I got all excited because well I am a dog lover and I love to do animal portraits, though I've gotten away from them because this was my comfort zone. I've learned that it's real important to get out of your comfort zone. That's where I learn. Getting older is getting wiser and happier, with a life full of learning that keeps you young and better!

Comment by Catherine Meyers — February 7, 2013 @ 9:00 am

2. SO exciting , your first painting going to Russia!

Comment by Catherine Meyers — February 7, 2013 @ 9:04 am

3. Beautiful, Indigene!

Comment by Amy O'Toole — February 7, 2013 @ 10:20 am

4. Thank you Amy, it means a lot to me to have you say so! :)

Comment by Indigene — February 7, 2013 @ 11:33 am

5. Thank you for sharing this. It reminds me of my own challenges, but also things I can celebrate! Love to you. Celebrating you.

Comment by lynda — February 7, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

6. This is wonderful. I love animals – dogs in particular – and I love how well you've captured that happiness and smile unique to dogs. Terrific!

Comment by Carla — February 7, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

7. Oh MY! Oh oh oh MY! What? You don't enjoy doing pet portraits??? But…but…but… this is so FABULOUS! Oh, Indigene, what a gorgeous painting! I absolutely love it, and it's not even my dog. Hooray for taking on a challenge and excelling in every possible way. You are absolutely awesome.

And if you meet me in the alley later, I have some ding dongs for you. Hahaha, you cracked me up!

Comment by Bella Sinclair — February 10, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

8. Wonderful, wonderful painting! Your sense of color always gets me, and it's great to see you applying it in this kind of subject — though I'm with you and don't like doing pet portraits either. Even so, this strikes me as a piece you grew with, and I love it. Yay for you!!

Comment by Linda Hensley — February 11, 2013 @ 8:41 am

9. I love your Husky portrait! It is super original! (The dog on my blog is a Samoyed. Mine's a mutt! :) )

Comment by 99magpies — February 15, 2013 @ 3:35 pm

10. Beautiful painting Indigene. I also don't have it all together and I'm the exact same age as you. There are many days that I feel where I am only beginning to learn about myself. Right now taking an art class is doing just that for me, teaching me many lessons about myself in the process. I'm so happy to see you figuring all of this out for yourself. :)

Comment by suzannemcrae — February 15, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

11. Dear Indigene!!!!

I’m mother of that girl for whom you painted this picture! I say to you great THANKS!!!!

My daughter is happy to receive this…. she likes it very very much! and, the place where she is doing this dog-sleds-sport is called “Nothern Hope!”

So….. your picture is a treasure for us! and we will keep it carefully!
    thank you very much!