BLOG TOUR . . .

Creative PracticeIt’s been a busy time for me; creating new works in the studio taking a couple of online classes and de-cluttering my bedroom! All in all a productive time. I’ve also been connecting with my friends more, both on-line and in person, I guess warm weather and sunshine is a great motivator.

A couple of weeks ago, an amazing woman, Deanna Jinjoe, from A New Day Art Studio invited me to participate in a Blog Tour, one that’s been going on for a while, with many wonderful studios involved!  So in order to participate, I’ll answer a few questions and then introduce the next couple of ladies who will continue on the Blog Tour. So here we go!

What am I working on?

MotherLoveWebI’m working on creating different mixed media pieces. In the past I worked on mixed media pieces utilizing more drawing and pen work; but now I’m working on incorporating different painting techniques and 3-D pieces. It’s been a little scary, since I’m at the beginning of this new art adventure and being new at anything is always a challenge. I am also creating more art journals and working on developing some ebooks and online classes.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I think it’s different because I will  bring my own ideas, experience, techniques and cultural viewpoint to it; which is what all artists do, to keep a genre new and experimental.

Why do I write/create what I do?

Creating art brings peace to a mind that’s prone to melancholy. As a sufferer of Seasonal Affect Disorder and being hyper-sensitive, art has been an outlet for me to have an action created by my moods that is not destructive to my psyche or well-being. Art has been a healing mechanism for me.

How does your writing/creating process work?  In the past, as it does now, the process generally started with an idea or a dream.

Dread-Jigsaw-Web

Then, each painting begins as a graphite drawing with soft gradations of light and dark. From the drawing, the composition is built upon with many sheer layers of color washes and pure pigment.

Traditional media is used, such as graphite, vine charcoal, powdered earth pigments, a variety of inks, watercolor, acrylics and sometimes, handmade oil formulas. Natural elements are preferred for their practical applications as well as for their metaphysical properties.

This process produces paintings that are rich and vibrant in color with an illuminating quality. I have extended the process to now include more three-dimensional elements.

So, now you know a little more about me, let me introduce you to the next amazing women in the tour and who you can check in the blog tour next Monday, June 2:

Catherine Meyers is an  amazing Canadian artist, whose subject matter lies in exploring the Wild Woman, the Crone, based on story telling, and cultural myths.

Kim Switzer is a professional muse and creative adventurer living and playing in Portland, OR.

I hope you check these ladies out, you never know what might inspire you!

Peace to you and yours.

1. I have so enjoyed reading more about you!

Comment by tami chacon — May 28, 2014 @ 10:00 am

2. Thanks so much for stopping by Tami, I really appreciate it! :)

Comment by Indigene — May 28, 2014 @ 10:52 am

3. I really enjoyed reading about you and your work. I especially appreciated your frank talk about how art can help "a mind that’s prone to melancholy." (What a beautiful way to phrase it!) Art truly can bring us peace and joy even in those down times.

Looking forward to seeing your e-books and classes!

Comment by Kim — May 28, 2014 @ 11:37 am

4. Thanks so much Kim! Art has been a healing balm, when I’ve needed it most. I think there are some people who see art making as only fun, which it can be, but it has so many other elements to it! Thanks again for stopping by, it means a lot to me! :)

Comment by Indigene — May 28, 2014 @ 12:56 pm

5. I love learning more about you and just another beautiful testimony on how powerful Art and Creative Expression is :) Love it!

Comment by Jill Marie — May 28, 2014 @ 2:21 pm

6. Thanks so much Jill! Art Heals! The more people know that the better they will feel! :)

Comment by Indigene — June 2, 2014 @ 12:46 pm

7. I love to hear how art helps others heal, it certainly has been an important factor in my own healing. I enjoyed reading about your process too!

Comment by Deanna — May 30, 2014 @ 2:10 pm

8. Thanks for stopping by Deanna! I never used to talk about how art was instrumental in my healing process, but I got over myself and started to share it, in hopes that it helps others. I love hearing about how it has helped others! Once again, thanks for coming by!

Comment by Indigene — May 30, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

9. Indigene, you know I have always been a fan of your artwork and use of color! I loved learning a little bit more about you here. I believe art is so healing. If we just give ourselves the time to be creative, we can tap into so many deeper aspects of ourselves. I love that your work often starts with a dream! I use my dreams as a jumping off point so many times with my artwork.

Comment by Amy O'Toole — May 31, 2014 @ 10:31 pm

10. Thank you so much, Amy! You made my day! Yes, my work is always snapshots from dreams and/or visions. It used to focus on individuals, whose faces would come to me; but now, it’s an explosion of imagery, that I’m hoping to capture! It’s good to know I’m in good company.

Comment by Indigene — June 2, 2014 @ 8:40 am

11. A lovely hour spent reading your posts and viewing your art. Thanks

Comment by Morning Star Studio — June 4, 2014 @ 3:47 pm

12. Thank you so much for stopping by! I appreciate it and the kind comments! :)

Comment by Indigene Art Forms — June 5, 2014 @ 12:01 pm

13. Whoops somehow my comment above was listed as coming from my old blog. It doesn't exist anymore. But I will be a frequent visitor to yours Indigene.

Comment by Lynna G — June 4, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

14. Thanks Lynna! I've visited your new blog and love it! Thanks for coming by and the promise to visit more! :)

Comment by Indigene Art Forms — June 5, 2014 @ 12:02 pm