Summer Loves…

I love the summer sunshine, since it shouts at me to come out and leap into life!  I take lots of walks, impromptu picnics, café hopping and meeting up with wonderful friends. I am fixated on poetry lately, I’m reading Julia de Burgos and Rumi’s poetry again. This poetry greatly impacted me in my 30s and continues through my 50s.

Peace

I am falling back in love with the life spirit that was my 30s, where freedom, exploring, adventures and experiencing different cultures were a top priority. I’m finding my way back to that and it feels like home.

I’m so grateful for this time in my life but, then I learned to be grateful for all the times in my life, because they helped me to grow and develop, whether I wanted to or not.  So I leave you with this Rumi poem and a few lines from Julia de Burgos…

RumiTHE GUEST HOUSE

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

— Jelaluddin Rumi,
translation by Coleman Barks

Julia de BurgosA Julia de Burgos

“…risk(ing) everything to be what I am

I am life, strength, woman.

belong(ing) to no one or to everyone

hair curled by the wind, face painted by the sun…”

Julia de Burgos

From my wildly passionate creative heart, to yours in peace.

1. Thank you so much for sharing! Deep words!

Comment by RitaJC — July 25, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

2. Beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing those words they are important ones to remember.

Comment by Deanna — July 26, 2014 @ 10:57 am

3. Wow, I really like this post. I love Rumi's poetry and I really enjoyed reading one of de Burgos's here. I have many poetry books on our shelves — I should revisit them. Thanks for reminding me with this post that I've been ignoring my love of poetry a wee bit too long.

Comment by keahn — July 28, 2014 @ 3:34 pm

4. Falling in love with your own life spirit at age 30–I love it! A wonderful decade–so much vitality and willingness to indulge new endeavors. You sound so free…just like the Rumi poem and the Julia quote. I want my hair to be curled by the wind, and I need all the guides I can get.
    Blessings!

Comment by Elouise — July 28, 2014 @ 4:42 pm

5. The timing of your post and Rumi's words are perfect for me . This is exactly what is happening to me and it's a magical stage of life.

Comment by sandymair — July 28, 2014 @ 4:49 pm

6. I just loved both of these pieces. Rumi's words spoke to me in allowing all to enter my house, great advice to give in to those feelings in order to open yourself up for new and better ones. Love it!

Comment by Sue Grilli — July 29, 2014 @ 5:25 am

7. Lovely! Thank you for the poetry. Also for the delightful visions I get from the idea of impromptu picnics! I love the joy in this post.

Comment by kimpdx — July 29, 2014 @ 1:29 pm

8. Fantastic poem! Thank you for sharing!

Comment by lulubeas — July 31, 2014 @ 8:57 pm